Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have to echo what everybody else has said don't do It , IMO gives the bike that classic look....I'm about to order some gators for my Thruxton Just cus they look the part .

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Dust, dirt, rust and rust pitting is the biggest killer of oil seals, the best protection is for gaiters, couldn't be more simpler, I prefer riding my bike than to be replacing fork oil seals, not saying you will never replace oil seals when you run fork gaiters, but you won't be doing it as often, it's the best way to keep all the crap off your front forks.

Ashley

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I have 134k on my other bike, no Gators and I never replaced the seals or had any of these Horror Stories of pitted or rusted or front end dissolving under me etc that so many are going on about here...finally replaced the stock springs about 2000 miles ago. Does Triumph really use that cheap of materials on their bikes that people are having their Front Ends fall apart on them without gators? I have Gators on my Scrambler, I like them well enough, if they're weren't there I wouldn't really care, look like a pain to remove, unlike the dopey Tank Pads that just came right off... Will my tank rust and pitt now? Do they sell "Official Triumph Full Bike Condoms" so I can cover it entirely always since they just fall apart so easy?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Next week I pick up my T120 Black (graphite). Could you tell me the how you found best to remove these and any marks left? Thanks.
Probably come off the same as on my 2013. From what I've seen the reflectors look the same. I literally just pulled them off. They have some sticky thingie holding them on and i wiggled them until they came off. Used WD-40 to remove the left over stuff. Looks better now.

There are some folks on here that believe it's not safe to ride without the reflectors. All i can say to that is....well....there were once people who thought the world was flat, too.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
There are some folks on here that believe it's not safe to ride without the reflectors. All i can say to that is....well....there were once people who thought the world was flat, too.[/QUOTE]

In some countries it is law to have reflectors on new bikes, it's good to have a red one on the back of your bike just in case your tail light fails at night, have you ever followed a bike at night without a tail light working, very hard to see, shine a light on a red reflector and see how bright it is, I prefer to be seen than not at night.

Ashley

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
It was just a joke. I'm warped. Over here bikes have to be sold with the reflectors but i don't want them. After being hit broadside last year, i firmly believe it doesn't matter. Couldn't see me in the daytime with headlight shining on her face. Oh that phone covering get face might have been a contributing factor but some people will say otherwise. I still have two reflectors on the back. I took off the side ones. Check your lights before you ride. Carry spare bulbs if deemed necessary. Half my commute is in the pitch black. Be as safe as you can. You are the only one who can judge your level of safety and for me those four little reflectors do nothing to keep me safe.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Update in the gators only 1000 miles on my street twin and they already showing signs of fading ?????? , if they keep fading like i will definitely remove them

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I heard throwing some armour all or the like on them once in a while helps with that. When i do it i wipe them down good and then wipe most of it off at a bit so dirt doesn't stick to them

·
Driftless Admin
2008 Bonneville Black
11,931 Posts
I use pig spit on my black engine covers to keep them deep black, instead of fading to something less blacker. Works well there, might be worth a shot on the gaiters if the armour-all doesn't work.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
old i see but my new to me 18 gots Gators + they will prolly join my refelectors in the junk bin!! took the ugly plastic thingys of mt traded 2012 mag wheeler along with the reflectors. manufacturers install ugly junk because they must, but removal is the owners choice.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts