Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Gaiters can trap moisture and actually cause more corrosion to the tubes. I cut the plastic protectors off my Thruxton for a much cleaner, leaner look. I have been riding for over 50yrs and never had to replace fork seals on anything I've owned so that issue isn't on my radar screen.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I live on the coast of Texas, one of the highest corrosion locations in the country. Gaiters definitely protect the forks from corrosion. Every few months, I raise the gaiters and coat the tube with ACF50 or Corrosion X. I never get any corrosion on the fork tubes, but I see plenty of other bikes without gaiters that have corroded fork tubes and everywhere else. I almost never wash the bike with water. I clean the paint with lemon pledge and wipe down the chrome with corrosion X or ACF50 and leave the oil on it. 9 years 1000 ft from the beach and almost no corrosion on the bike, except for the motor castings. Keep the chrome oil free and dry here and no gaiters and you will get massive corrosion. I have had bikes at this location for 50 years.

·
Registered
10,254 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Fork gaiters kinda just scream "retro"... I plan on adding some to my bike. The plastic stock ones do help too, as far as protecting the tubes from tossed up rocks, but don't look right on a retro bike.

I'm not sure gaiters "trap moisture" unless you ride a lot in the rain. But I've never had a tube rust or replaced a fork seal either, so does that mean fork gaiters are unnecessary?
I wear a helmet, but have never fallen, so I guess I really don't need one? ;)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Why exactly would you enjoy replacing fork seals prematurely? :rolleyes: With the gaiters those seals can last indefinitely...
This! My T-100 has been ridden in all weather for 100,000+ miles. It's usually covered in muck and road grime, but under the factory original gaiters, the fork tubes and seals look like new.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Like buying a good pair of pants and leaving your fly open. Don't do it.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I have never had any problems with fork seals on any of my bikes, with and without "Gators" on them... If you don't like them. remove them, if you like them keep them, not everything has to be Political or have such outcomes as Dire as what is listed here etc...

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
I have never had any problems with fork seals on any of my bikes, with and without "Gators" on them... If you don't like them. remove them, if you like them keep them, not everything has to be Political or have such outcomes as Dire as what is listed here etc...
You're wrong there. The fate of the free world hangs on whether this guy keeps the gaiters or not. Don't do it, man! Think of the children!

Anyway, I have the Triumph accessory gaiters on my Bonnie and, surprisingly, they don't say 'Triumph' on them anywhere. All the other Triumph accessories I have do.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
You're wrong there. The fate of the free world hangs on whether this guy keeps the gaiters or not. Don't do it, man! Think of the children!

Anyway, I have the Triumph accessory gaiters on my Bonnie and, surprisingly, they don't say 'Triumph' on them anywhere. All the other Triumph accessories I have do.
Great now I have to go outside and see what my Scrambler ones say on them

*edit* - Surprisingly they say Nothing!!! A bland piece on my bike with no Logo? This must be an oversight and I will assume taken care of on future models..

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
All these Triumph logos and I still have people say they didn't know Triumph was still building bikes. :dunno

21 - 40 of 57 Posts