Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should i remove the gaiters ? i know they protect the forks, but i a lot of bikes don't have them and it think it will look better without. I also removed the reflectors. Where can i get the covers like in the second photo ? ImageUploadedByMO Free1456111524.262642.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1456111542.714800.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don't do it

Got to say I'm with Biggsy here. Just my opinion but I've always prefered bikes with gaiters, I've seen threads on other sites looking at which ones you can get to fit different bikes.
That said if you don't like them that's good. I wouldn't expect you to have issues without them although you might want to consider some protectors as Forchetto suggests.
don't do it!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
What everyone else said. :grin2:

I installed gaiters about five years ago, I've had a look under a few times and it's nice to know I may never have to think about fork seals.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If you do remove the gaitors I will gladly take them off your hands :)

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
should i remove the gaiters ? i know they protect the forks, but i a lot of bikes don't have them and it think it will look better without. I also removed the reflectors. Where can i get the covers like in the second photo ?
Why exactly would you enjoy replacing fork seals prematurely? :rolleyes: With the gaiters those seals can last indefinitely...

FWIW, on my son's last big service on his K1100LT he had his fork seals replaced, a common issue apparently..., and had gaiters from an old /7 R-bike fitted, also apparently a well-known "fix".

YMMV

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Your questions bring a smile...when I purchased an '01 new Bonneville, that was one of the first things I looked for, there was no Bonneville aftermarket that offered them, ended up using some BMW gaiters. It would seem maybe more people add these than remove ones supplied, but don't know for sure. They do protect the tubes from collecting bugs and then having them chew up the seals. There are the occasional stones that the gaiters deflect vs chipping or dinging the chrome. Those little plastic deflectors is what came stock in '01 and other years...if you don't like the look of gaiters, carefully remove them and put them aside in case you change your mind. Congrats on getting a new bike!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm getting gaiters soon and you can have those plastic covers that will come off my thruxton for the price of shipping. Let me know!

·
Registered
287 Posts
These bikes withOUT gaiters just dont look right....just my .02

Psy

·
Registered
11,580 Posts
should i remove the gaiters ? i know they protect the forks, but i a lot of bikes don't have them and it think it will look better without. I also removed the reflectors.
Alex you reminded me of myself when I brought my bike home 44 years ago and took off the signals and reflectors to "personalize" it. :D Congrats on your new bike. Nice choice and thanks for the memories.

P.S. I know you want to cafe it but if you want to really standout, chop the sucker. I think you'll be the first ST Chopper in your neighbourhood. ;)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Did you guys know that fork gaiters was the very first mod I did to my early 2001 Bonnie? It was also the very first product I offered for sale (BCC-001) back in 2001. I'm a gaiters kind of guy, that's for sure. But I also understand there is a time & place where they are not right for the project.

In the case of my Project Goldenrod, I used 70's style dust boots on polished lowers.

/M

·
Registered
11,580 Posts
Did you guys know that fork gaiters was the very first mod I did to my early 2001 Bonnie? It was also the very first product I offered for sale (BCC-001) back in 2001. I'm a gaiters kind of guy, that's for sure. But I also understand there is a time & place where they are not right for the project.

In the case of my Project Goldenrod, I used 70's style dust boots on polished lowers.

/M

72 Colours! Very, very nice!
:welldone

·
Registered
11,580 Posts
I think when more people customize their ST's people are going to see some pretty great looking mods as well as some disasters too. Just like all bikes. I just hope they keep the front fender on, have rideable tires and for the love of God, please no pipe wrap!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I installed gaiters on my NewChurch and I think it really improves the look of the front end. Also changed & relocated the front turn signals, which I think looks better too.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts