Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,, I've got the engine out of the frame and the head off. When I go to remove the cylinder block I see that the nuts are something like 12point 1/2".

A 1/2" (sae) box wrench fits over all but one nut (left side, outermost rear nut. The one at about the 8 oclock position looking down from the top and facing forward.) because of lack of clearance btwn the nut and the cylinder (wrench won't fit over the nut).

What do I need to remove this nut? Special wrench? Grind the back side of the box thinner so it will slip btwn the nut and cylinder?

Thanks.

-- alonzo

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some wrench heads are too 'fat' to fit. I've found that sometimes the cheap wrenches are not quite as thick and fit in there better. You could grind your wrench up, or just get a cheapie for it ...
Thanks t100rc. So basically I'm on the right track with the 12pt 1/2" box end wrench?
I've got a couple so I could grind one down a bit.

-- alonzo

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I got lucky with my bike, it came with the original tool set. Triumph has a special "thin-walled" wrench that fit these. Most people I've talked to grind down a cheap wrench like T100rc said.

·
Registered
767 Posts
If you can't get a spanner over the nuts, probably a ratchet wrench is out. If so, how do you know how to tighten them to correct torque???

·
Registered
601 Posts
If you can't get a spanner over the nuts, probably a ratchet wrench is out. If so, how do you know how to tighten them to correct torque???
Hey Kev,

Some of the special tool makers produced a little adaptor so
a standard wrench and can be clamped into the adaptor. This
adaptor has a square drive so a torque wrench can then be
used with the wrench. However, you have to follow the
instructions with the adaptor as the added lenght of the wrench
must be calculated in to get the right torque figure.

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/1669?WT.mc_id=1484958

http://www.engineersedge.com/manufacturing_spec/torque_wrench_1.htm

Pookybear

If the links do not work just copy and paste.

·
Registered
162 Posts
yup!

how do you know how to tighten them to correct torque???""

mostly by feel really. they'd loosen on the new bikes frequently so even the factory did'nt always get them tourqed right or tight enough. the old meriden film shows them wrenching them on with just a box end wrench

theres a tool called a crowsfoot wrench or socket. that can be used with your normal tourqe wrench .

these are the flare nut set which has a little more clearance and 'bite'

http://www.sulco.co.nz/Category?Action=View&Category_id=527

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
As Sunshine Jim has said you need a crowsfoot, something like this (my torque wrench set) However I have found that a snap on or facom spanner (wrench) (almost as good as snap on and half the price) will work. I don't really think that the torque is too important in this area given the thickness of the cylinder base, the case and the gasket, just make sure it is tightened up in the correct sequence and not too tight.

Webby

·
Registered
601 Posts
As Sunshine Jim has said you need a crowsfoot, something like this (my torque wrench set) However I have found that a snap on or facom spanner (wrench) (almost as good as snap on and half the price) will work. I don't really think that the torque is too important in this area given the thickness of the cylinder base, the case and the gasket, just make sure it is tightened up in the correct sequence and not too tight.

Webby
Webby,

Facom tools are very nice indeed, but are very expensive in the
here in the States. So most people by Snap-on, Mac tools, and
of course the best value for the money Craftsman. I do like the
box end adaptors for you torque wrench, my only has the open
end adaptors (Snap-on).

Pookybear

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
It's the other way here snap on cost a fortune
I forgot all about craftsman (can't get them over here :( The world would be a much poorer place without Sears

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
In the "old days" we always said: "As tight as it'll go and then 1/2 a turn more"....just kidding, of course! I've always done them up fairly tight then given the wrench a quick "tug" to get them evenly tight. It sounds weird, I know, but I was taught this trick by an old Triumph "guru" and it's always worked for me. A bit of practice is all it takes to get the "feel".

The "village idiot's" nuts are still tight after all these years: Jim

·
Registered
601 Posts
It's the other way here snap on cost a fortune
I forgot all about craftsman (can't get them over here :( The world would be a much poorer place without Sears
Oh Webby,

I understand it has to do with the shipping of heavy tool across
the pond. A few years ago there was a Facom dealer in Alanta
GA. But the market is pretty tough for tool vendors here in
the States so he ended up closing after a few months. So went
an end to Facom in the States. Some of the speciality catalogs
have some Facom tools, but again pricy.

Now you have to have something like a Sears over there, do you
not? If the answer is no, you are just going to have to move.
Many a mechanic started with and still use their beloved
Craftsman set of tools. Ah, chrome memories.

Pookybear

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
No unfortunately we have nothing like Sears over here (I've spent many a happy day wandering around Sears on holiday!), even some of the most common tools can be difficult to find here in mainland europe (whatever you want as long as it's metric!) The UK is better served with almost anything you want you can find provided you know where to look. I have quite a lot of Craftsman tools, I've an uncle who lives in CA and my Fathers a pilot. When I first started as an appentice aircraft mechanic (about 20 years ago) I simply put in my order for my Dad to bring back whatever from the US.
The nice thing is now I'm no longer on the tools, so I've had boxes full of good quality tools I've not used for the last 10/12 years but they've all been dusted off and put into use since I bought my bonnie as a box of bits for my christmas present last year.
Mind you I still come over all teary eyed each time I see all the tools in Sears on Extreme House Makeover (dubbed into French of course!!)

Webby

·
Registered
601 Posts
Webby,

NO SEARS, oh the humanity of it all. How do you all live over
there? Must be like the dark ages.

Ok enough of that. Do not worry about only recently dusting
off tools. I have stuff over here that I have never even used,
but have just in case of someday. You know: stuff like
babbit bearing scrapers, carter carburator specility tool kit, and 1/8
inch drive Snap-on set (five pieces). Then there are other that
have been used once: number 5 spline drive impact wrench,
batwing driver bits, and a King-pin press. And finally there are
the tools I use all the time, my 1/4 inch drive impact gun, my
3/8 drive speeder with a ratchet head, and my 3/8 drive ratchet
head that extensions are used as the handle.

Never and I mean never have I every waisted money on a good
made tool. I hope that maybe some of the newbies will get this
point. Good tools are worth having, because someday, you will
turn around and say oh yeh I got that!

But having access to Facom that would be nice, but no Sears
a trade off I can not do.

Pookybear

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Couldn't agree with you more Pookybear,
Good tools are never a waste of money, they will always come in useful one day.
To quote George Best (a famous footballer from Northern Ireland (where I'm from))
When asked what he did with all the money he had earned he replyed: "I spent it all on booze and women and squandered the rest"
The same could be said for old Triumphs.

Till next time

Webby

1 - 16 of 16 Posts