Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that the header pipes on Bonnevilles are stainless steel with a simple chrome plating on top, and that I can have them dipped to remove the chrome and just polish the stainless. My pipes are blue down to the horizontal turn, and I'm too lazy to scrub them down. Does anyone have a reference for a good place near me that will dip them for me? I guess I can just call around. Anyone else have experience with doing this?

Thanks

[ This message was edited by: Granitsky on 2006-12-06 15:09 ]

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
On 2006-12-06 16:29, Nzbiker wrote:
...chrome over SS go figure ???
sounds strange to me
It sure seems thats what they are. I just went out to the garage and put a magnet on the pipes. Whatever is under the chrome isn't magnetic. Since it certainly isn't copper pipe or aluminum tube, it is likely SS.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
polished stainless may turn blue as well. I'd look into it before putting out the effort
G

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On 2006-12-06 17:22, Geoff wrote:
polished stainless may turn blue as well. I'd look into it before putting out the effort
G

Anyone know for certain what would happen? I mean, my pipes are VERY blue, down a few inches past the second turn on the bottom. I need to figure out if getting the blue off is worth the cost of removing the chrome/polishing up the SS/keeping it looking nice.

I bought the bike 3rd hand - it had TOR pipes on it with stock 40/115 jets. I guess that's how you get blue pipes. Now I have emgo reverse cones with 42/120's as per Dale at Specialty Spares' instructions, and it seems to be fine, though I haven't checked the plugs. I want to just get it right and get those pipes looking good

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
On 2006-12-06 17:31, sweatmachine wrote:
I think the raw stainless will only yellow.

The pipes ARE chrome over stainless.
The raw stainless will pretty much do the same as chrome, since in both cases it is the chrome (either the surface plating or the chrome in the stainless) that oxidizes and does the color change. My company has an experimental engine with a stainless exhaust that turned all the way to black.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Learn to love the blue!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Advice for the new Triumph owner:

10 Repeat to self "blue pipes do look good".
20 Go to 10

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Tell ya what,
you give my your headers, pay me enough to get them ceramic coated Black, AND a little some' some'n more.....

Then I might consider giving you my headers that I've cleaned of their bluing, and coated the interior to prevent further bluing. They'll stay looking pretty IF you remove the air injection from your bike.

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-12-06 19:57 ]

·
Registered
694 Posts
Granitsky: Even if you clean the pipes up, you'll just get blue again unless you richen up your mixture, both fuel screws, and mains. My 01 has about 12K miles on it with a light gold hue from the exhaust port down about 3" on both sides, otherwise it looks like new chrome. More fuel=less heat=less blue. Cheers, tommyturbo2

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I understand how and why bluing works. Like I said, I think I have the right setup for it (AI removed, proper jetting). I know stainless might blue, but it's a hell of a job removing the blue from the chrome that's already on there. I just want a few inches of it, not 3 feet of blue...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts