Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced stock exhausts on my 2007 Bonnie with Dominator Touring pipes. What a huge improvement! Love the sound. About to re-jet with 120 Main jets and 42 pilot jets. On first (left-hand carb), I was able to remove 3 of the 4 screws but felt like i was stripping the 4th phillips screw. A mechanic said there are any short cut and that i would need to take out carb to properly remove the stripped phillips screw. It will be good for me to learn too. Looks like I now need to remove the carbs to remove the screws. Anyone have a step by step instructions of how to remove carbs? What else needs to be removed to make it easier to remove the carb? Pictures would be helpful too. Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
On the top left corner of this screen, there's a search box. I typed "how remove carbs bonneville." It yielded these links, among others:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/62996-removing-carbs.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/218642-how-to-remove-carbs.html

It's a pretty straightforward process. I removed mine without a manual, and I'm not even smart. You can do it. Just document well or take pictures so you can get it back to what it was. With the airbox in place, it can be a little frustrating.

Stripping the screws is a common problem. You can get a carb screw set from any of the oft-mentioned vendors on here, or go to your local hardware store and get them yourself (and save a long wait on shipping) I bought stainless steel hex-keyed (Allen) bolts for mine. Now I can rejet in about 10 minutes with no threat of stripping. It gives one that warm, fuzzy feeling. I replaced both the bottom bowl bolts and the top ones. If you get your own, don't forget that 2 of the bolts on bottom are a little longer, to accommodate the idle adjustment bracket.

Hope that helps. We'll be here to help if you get stuck.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
There is no need to change to 42 idle jets, seems to be a common thing to do when making the mildest of changes to intake and/or exhausts. Sort out your main jet, your 120 will be close(maybe 125), get the engine hot and adjust the idle mixture correctly i.e. turn the mixture screw in until the engine stumbles a little, them out until the engine stumbles a little, then set the screw approximately half way between. Some very minor trimming of the setting may be required after the second carb is set. Give the engine a rev between adjustments and let it settle to an even idle(you will need to set the idle speed a little faster than normal while making adjustments) Work quickly to avoid over heating, using a big fan can help a bit.
Don't simply accept someone elses recommendations for this adjustment, the carbs vary widely and you may find the best setting is different from the LH side to the RH side, so be it.
Phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts