Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I can NOT get the bar ends off, and I want to run bar end mirrors.

I took the bolt out from the inside, and could not budge it. I tried hitting the end of it with a hammer to see if I could pop the expander thing loose, but I couldn't. Even gripping it with a wrench and trying to turn it was no use.

What is the trick to doing this? Has anyone gotten theirs off without having to destroy them?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hey all,

I can NOT get the bar ends off, and I want to run bar end mirrors.

I took the bolt out from the inside, and could not budge it. I tried hitting the end of it with a hammer to see if I could pop the expander thing loose, but I couldn't. Even gripping it with a wrench and trying to turn it was no use.

What is the trick to doing this? Has anyone gotten theirs off without having to destroy them?
Screw the bolt back in, but so it sticks out a little; tap it with something. This will push-in and loosen expanding bit. Now you can just slide it out with your fingers.
If you remove bolt, there is nothing to push-in the expander.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You could also spray a little silicone lubricant up in there...but just a little. Then be sure to clean the silicone from inside of the bars before putting your mirrors on. Id use silicone as opposed to WD-40 or a penetrating lubricant because they work TOO well and are harder to clean from inside the bar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts