Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi for the first, (my first post here) and please help.

This is no joke, but I cannot remove the rear wheele on my T3.
This is my first Triumph and I got to get the wheel of for tomorrow (getting a new tire)

I´ve loosen the chain, put the bike on a pit-stand and tried to loosen the bolts. The left bolt i now of so the axel spinns whan I try to loose the right one.
As I would expect now the only thing I should do is to take the axel out. However it seemes to be stuck so hard that I don´t longer belive it is put togather that way.

It seemes to be stuck under the brake caliper. Should I just try to knock it out HARDER, or am I doing it wrong?

Please a fast answear.

Thanks
//Pawel

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Please replay. I need to take the wheel of before noon tomorrow.

(Sorry for the grammar by the way, I live in Sweden :D)

So, the 2 fuses are gone. Left bolt loos, left "escentric-thing" gone.
The axel spinns around and can be moved 2-3mm sideways. The brake caliper moves sideways, but not the axel inside the caliper.

Someone with a photo maybe? Or an exploded view of the rear wheel?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
If you have removed the C clips & the axle end bolt....the axle should come out if the axle and brake caliper move together a little but you can't remove the axle then it sounds like the exle has rusted to the spacer inside the brake mounting bracket...if this is the case you will have to remove it with perhaps a little force being careful no to damage the ends of the axle, if you have a thin bar you could slide through the axle center and then hit it, might work...or you could use the original axle nut but don't wind it all the way in, then use a socket and hammer/mallet to hit that and try and free the axle ??

End result is if you have removed the axle nut the axle should come out...if not it needs persuading...

Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, thanks for the answer. Sounds like it rusted to the mounting braket inside the caliper than. I´ll go out right away and spray it with WD40 for tomorrow. Than I hope it will get loose.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
422 Posts
The axle bolt is on the right side. The axle comes out the left. follow these steps

Remove the chain guard.

put the bike on the center stand or support it with the rear wheel elevated.

remove the clips from each eccentric.

remove the right side axle bolt and then support the wheel

remove the axle from the left side. It should slide right out.

Be careful of the spacers on each, remove the wheel support and let the wheel drop down. You may have to raise/lower the caliper depending on which model you have. Be careful of the caliper spacer.

Remove the chain from the sprocket and pull the wheel free. Be carful not to set the wheel down on the rotor or it might get warped.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
What Mot said, sounds like rust at the caliper bracket. When you put it back together polish the axle up and apply a thin film of grease over it's entire surface.

·
Registered
826 Posts
the carrier has little needle rollers in it that sometimes get neglected.when you get the spindle out, check they are greased, and free moving when you have managed to remove the spindle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
!"#

I still can not get the axle loose. Had to unorder my visit at the shop for the new tire.

Berniebikes-> How do you mean that the axle comes out to the left. That is impossible on my bike becouse the left bolt is the only one that came loose. So I´ll have to take the axle out to the right.

Or is this impossible?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
!"#

Berniebikes-> How do you mean that the axle comes out to the left. That is impossible on my bike becouse the left bolt is the only one that came loose. So I´ll have to take the axle out to the right.
From the factory the axle went in from the left. The axle will go in either way so it depends on how the last guy did it. Sounds like yours is from the right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I understand. Thought you meant that both sides had bolts and I had to get the right one loose.
I realy start to "hate" the bike now (I´m sorry, I know its a strong word :mad: )

Just came back from my work and got out to check on the "unrusting" progress. No sucess again.

This is how it looks now, and I-´m trying to nock the left bolt to make the axel move.

It´s the wright way isn´t it?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You have a gap between the caliper bracket and the swingarm. If things don't loosen up you might consider cutting the axle there so you can get it apart, then you can deal with the seized axle/caliper bracket on a work bench.

·
Registered
826 Posts
have you tried raising the rear wheel to take the weight off the shaft?
i know it doesnt make a huge amount of difference, but every little helps!

just use wood under the tyre to straighten everything out abit, then try whacking it again

oh, and remove the caliper aswell, wont be restricting the movement of the shaft, but it makes things easier to get at if its out of the way

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well....Now I recovered a bit. I´ll raise the wheel a bit and start wacking again.
I´ll be back within an hour. Whish me luck!

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Put the right hand pinch bolt back in too, you want a little play in the wheel so when you hit it the force goes into shifting the axle.

Also what size hammer are you using..sometimes you can be there all day with a smaller hammer, use the largest you get get hold of (4lb club hammer/mallet) it can make all the difference ;-)

Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally got it done!
First of all I’d like to thank you for your pointers. I really didn’t understand how it was put together until I got it apart.

So, wacking it didn’t help. I wacked some tools to peaces and the bike was now next in the row. So I had to stop.

I had to use an unorthodox method. With the help of an angle grinder I filed the stuck bracket down just enough so it would fit the eccentric mounting.

Now the whole part could be drawn out through the swingarm, without getting loose.

Here you can se how it was filed. The bracket was stuck on harder than anything I done before. It was like welded. I don’t rally understand how this could be.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had to heat it up extensively 6-7 times just to be able to knock it towards the right direction a bit at a time. You can se the bluish color on the bracket.

Finally I got all the parts apart. Had to file them so it was possible to fit everything together again.
A new tire and than back to remount everything.

This time the axle was inserted from the left. As it should be.

And the bike is fit for fight. With other words. I don’t hate it no more

Sorry about the photoquality. iPhone is not the best camera.
Thanks for the help one more time!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts