Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning All.

My 2003 Sprint needs its headlamps adjusting for the annual MOT.
The handbook tells me blithely to "remove cockpit", without mentioning how, or what needs to come undone.
I've taken the side strips off at the base of the screen, undone the 2 screws by the idiot lights ( all that did was make the plastic display fall down), but I can't SEE what needs to be undone to "remove cockpit"

Do I need to take the whole of the front top half of the fairing off to adjust the headlights? Or am I just have a stupid morning ( again)?

Any help, even abuse for stupidity welcome. MOT needs doing this afternoon.

MAny thanks

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Here you go!

Removing the cockpit is a bit of a bind. Here’s a brief step-by-step

1 remove the black plastic ears running up the insides of the windscreen arms (2 black bolts each)

2 Remove the two black infills either side of the radiator in the opening behind the front wheel (3 black bolts each) – You could just undo the top bolt on each side to release the cockpit plastics, but I have seen tabs broken this way

3 Remove the windscreen (4 plastic screw heads either side – you may need to hold the rubber well-nuts that the top 6 screw into. They are under the plastic ears you removed in instruction 1) – Again you can simply remove the lowest pair of screws as they screw into the instrument panel, but I have found that removing the screen gives you more flexibility and movement in the cockpit plastics when needing to line things up as it goes back together.

4 Remove the 3 silver panel fasteners per side that join the cockpit fairing to the main panels along the diagonal join line running just behind the front indicator bulges. There should be one on each side facing up on the flat surface that holds the heated grip switch, and two on the vertical surface above the join line

5 Peel back the plastic boots at the base of the mirror arms (they never fit properly) and undo the two M10 (?) bolts per side to remove the mirrors.

6 That’s all the fasteners done. Now with a little care, ease the nose plastic forwards and rest it gently on the top of the front wheel while you reach round and disconnect both indicators and the small position light (between the two headlights) and the whole nose should come away forwards. Just have a care with the tabs that you removed the silver panel fasteners from as they have what we call speed or spring nuts on and can easily scratch your main fairings.

There you are. The Cockpit plastics are off while leaving the instrument panel in place, with all the gubbins showing. In the best traditions of manuals, “refitting is the reverse of removal!!!”. Again take care when reconnecting the lights, and sliding the panel tabs under the main fairings, to not scratch your paint.

GOOD LUCK!

Rexx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rexx

Appreciate your help.

I used "technical solution" of bending hands in 3 places and getting a stubby x-head driver on the vertical adjusters - luckily these were the only ones needing adjusting, so lets see what happens this afternoon at the MOT.

all the best

James

1 - 3 of 3 Posts