Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my cases apart on my 1973 T140 project over the weekend. I was able to get the roller bearing off the crankshaft via a puller my dad owns. But I do not know how to get that blind race out... My Four Aces rebuild video suggest heating up the case and then banging it out, but I am reluctant on that... Any one have any tips for me?

The crank is sitting in a bucket of mineral spirits with sludge tube out, suprisingly there was almost no sludge in the trap... Which makes me wonder if I should have even broke her down! Cam bushes look nice, and there was no play in the shafts so I plan on keeping them.The crank journals look really nice, almost brand new. I'm ordering some shell bearings for the conrods and of course a new roller and timing side bearing. Do you guys think I've missed anything?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Heat it up and it falls out

Only sometimes it doesn't....
That is why there is a Triumph service tool for fitting into the race and pulling it out after further heating.

Mark

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
If you are replacing the bearing, with a small grinding stone or dremmel stone (Sears has them) you can grind some notches in the inside of the race (3 equally spaced should do). With a drift or punch inserted from the outside of the (heated) case into these notches you can tap it out. Just work around and around a little at a time. Worked for me when the heat and bang didn't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts