Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my cases apart on my 1973 T140 project over the weekend. I was able to get the roller bearing off the crankshaft via a puller my dad owns. But I do not know how to get that blind race out... My Four Aces rebuild video suggest heating up the case and then banging it out, but I am reluctant on that... Any one have any tips for me?

The crank is sitting in a bucket of mineral spirits with sludge tube out, suprisingly there was almost no sludge in the trap... Which makes me wonder if I should have even broke her down! Cam bushes look nice, and there was no play in the shafts so I plan on keeping them.The crank journals look really nice, almost brand new. I'm ordering some shell bearings for the conrods and of course a new roller and timing side bearing. Do you guys think I've missed anything?

·
Super Moderator
13,267 Posts
Sounds like you got a bike that was well mwaintained with regular oil changes.

Heating in the oven (250 for 10 minutes) should result in the race falling out by itself. If not, just smack the case with a soft piece of 2x4 and it will fall out then, for sure.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Heat it up and it falls out

Only sometimes it doesn't....
That is why there is a Triumph service tool for fitting into the race and pulling it out after further heating.

Mark

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
If you are replacing the bearing, with a small grinding stone or dremmel stone (Sears has them) you can grind some notches in the inside of the race (3 equally spaced should do). With a drift or punch inserted from the outside of the (heated) case into these notches you can tap it out. Just work around and around a little at a time. Worked for me when the heat and bang didn't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts