Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd add this to the sticky...

I built a remote tank kit for well under half the price of the Triumph one. You need the following:

6 feet/2 meters/whatever each of 18 gauge or so wire in two colors. You'll use the same wire for both the sender and fuel pump hookups. Colors won't matter because the connectors are very different.

Sumitomo 2P110 connector set for the fuel sender, available from Eastern Beaver if you can't find it locally. (You don't actually need the sender hooked up to run the bike, but it will throw codes and light the MIL if you turn it on with the sender disconnected.)

Sumitomo 2P090 connector set for the fuel pump. This, you need to make it run.

Fuel hose. You can probably get away with 6mm for this, and I just used regular hose instead of injection hose. It needs to stand up to 42 PSI standard, maybe as much as 60 PSI if a PO has beaten on the FPR with a hammer, for minutes at a time. Again, 6', 2m, or how ever long you want it to be multiplied by two.

Colder/CPC quick connectors. Two each, male and female, with hose barb ends to match the fuel line size. The plastic/acetal ones are cheaper than the metal ones and perfectly adequate for this application. For 1/4"/6mm fuel hose, you can use PLC17004 female and PLC22004 male QD couplers. Note that these part numbers DO NOT have valves in them, but you don't need them for this as the females on the tank have valves. Having non-valved connectors makes it much easier to drain the hoses and is cheaper to boot. Ask me how I know. :p

Jubilee clips or zip ties, one for each fuel line connector, are also a good idea.

That's all you need to make a remote tank setup.

Completely unrelated, but as long as you're paying shipping charges on the Colder stuff... Are the female QD connectors on your fuel tank metal or plastic? If plastic, also order one each LCD17004V and LCD10004BSPTV. (The "V" means "Viton." Not strictly necessary, but not a bad idea.)

Cheers,
-Kit

Reactions: riddmkidd

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hate to sound so blond but Ive read this about five different times since you posted this but I have no idea what a Remote Tank Kit is lol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks to the marvels of British Engineering, you cannot perform tasks like balancing the throttles without having the fuel tank fully removed and sitting next to the bike. Since the fuel and electrical connections on the bike are shorter than a Dachshund's legs, you need a remote tank kit...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts