Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone mounted an external oil filter to their OIF bike? I've seen MAP, Trico Andy and some other offerings, but I am talking about the type that uses a "regular" auto oil filter. This is for convenience sake - so I can run to the auto parts store and pick up a filter along with the oil. I know that oil preference is a big debate, so lets talk oil filters on OIF. I've seen many examples of this:
Automotive tire Camera accessory Rim Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

or

Camera accessory Gas Auto part Electronic device Cylinder

Has anyone used something like this, and if so what was your take on it? Seems that as long as it has a "light" bypass valve, I should be good to go. Am I right or wrong on this? What about this version for 650 Triumphs:

Font Wood Circle Jewellery Symbol

I've watched his install video and it seems like a solid system. Can you guys give me some thoughts on this kit? My trouble is finding a place to mount any of them. Like I said previously, I have a bastardized '71 Triumph 650 - its on a rigid frame (for now at least) and space is constrained to say the least. Thanks for any input. If anyone is interested in the kits I've shown, I have links I can share. Chris

·
Registered
8,471 Posts
I have that type fitted just below the right hand air filter. I have bolted a piece of flat bar to the back of it, then secure it to the large tube with wide cable ties. Each time i change the filter, its cut the ties, swing it out for a new filter then back on with two new ties. I did the filter yesterday using a Champion 101 filter. I have had the filter system about 10 years and also on my BSA spitfire.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Automotive exhaust Automotive lighting

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have that type fitted just below the right hand air filter. I have bolted a piece of flat bar to the back of it, then secure it to the large tube with wide cable ties. Each time i change the filter, its cut the ties, swing it out for a new filter then back on with two new ties. I did the filter yesterday using a Champion 101 filter. I have had the filter system about 10 years and also on my BSA spitfire. View attachment 767159 View attachment 767160
Thanks for the input. Is that similar in form to the first image I posted? Or do you have a name or a link for the one you're using? Thanks again. Chris

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,030 Posts
If you have a hard tail, possibly the tricor Andy / MAP trident style might be a better bet.
i don’t think a Charlie’s filter is easy to fit to an early OIF

·
Registered
8,471 Posts
The one i use is often referred to as a Norton type filter. Cost around £25 in the UK. Easy to fit just cut the return pipe and then buy a short piece of rubber pipe to continue the flow to the top of the frame tube

·
Registered
11,757 Posts
My trouble is finding a place to mount any of them. Like I said previously, I have a bastardized '71 Triumph 650 - its on a rigid frame (for now at least) and space is constrained to say the least. Thanks for any input.
A pic of your frame/bike would help.

·
Registered
8,471 Posts
Looking at the bike, a good spot would be low down behind the frame spine if using the Norton type filter

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Hi Torquey, Be very specific about this.

What year is your frame?

Does your oil feed come out
the frame sump plate?

Or does it come out the lower right side of back bone? In this case frame bottom plate will NOT oil feed. The filter screen will have have a hole in top of it

I know what you mean about just going to auto parts store for filter. However almost all the Norton type spin on have a unusual thread size the filter screws onto. Napa Auto parts can order this filter. I have not found any auto parts stores stocking them in USA.

There is a conversation threaded adapter sold that allows you to screw modern common filter to Norton base. But the base must have removable threads.

End of day, if you have later 71 frame or newer the in frame filter is your best choice. Elements are $10-11 each. They must be ordered. The spin on elements are same price. All the filters do exact same good job cleaning the oil.

If your backbone will accept the Charlie’s or Motao in frame filter it will make your life simple. Ordering is no problem. Just order from Motao on EBay. $20 for two pack. Free shipping.

I can’t tell in photos if you have room behind the lower back bone to mount spin on. That is ideal place if possible. Out of sight & easy to change element.
Buy a mounting bracket or make one from 3” muffler clamp & some steel plate.

If your frame will accept in frame filter that’s so easy, you still have to clean screen anyway.

The early ‘71 frame has oil feed pipe welded to right side of backbone down low. It goes through backbone, turns down & tube goes through filter screen to bottom.
Later in ‘71 factory eliminated the oil tube. Started taking oil directly out the front of the frame bottom. Simple!! This system was used later 71 until the end of production. A paper filter replaces the screen. The base plate is modified to accommodate the paper element. Simple!
You’ll probably end up resigning yourself to having to order filter elements as I did.
Don

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Looks like gas cap is leaking? New cork seal is sold.
If filler neck is leaking at crimp, very easy to seal with gas tank sealant. Don’t even need to drain tank. Just a bead around roll seem crimp will cure it. If top of tank rusted through will need tank liner or new tank.
Don

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Hi torquey,

I have the same filter mounting as rambo on my 73 frame TR7RV, OIF, mounts off the rear gearbox mounting - but mine's sideways. A bit less obtrusive but messy when changing the filter.

I bought mine here: Oil filter kits for British motorcycles. The replacement filter is an EMGO WW97028, or 10-26910. Replaces Norton 063371, if that helps.

I also have a filter in the sump at the base of the spine tube. OTT, but that's just me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The Norton filter head has a 16 x 1.5mm thread. Look up a filter catalog that lists filters by dimensions. WIX has one:
They have three with that thread: 57013, 51352 and 51032. The 57013 is chrome and used on Ducati and HD.
Made this mount for the Norton filter head:
Gas Auto part Metal Personal protective equipment Nickel

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
The Norton filter head has a 16 x 1.5mm thread. Look up a filter catalog that lists filters by dimensions. WIX has one:
They have three with that thread: 57013, 51352 and 51032. The 57013 is chrome and used on Ducati and HD.
Made this mount for the Norton filter head:
View attachment 767229
Is that filter mount available in the UK?

And the filter mount pictured earlier in this thread? could you post some more pictures of that?

·
Registered
163 Posts
hey torquey, i think thats a super cool bike - if it was mine i wouldn't want an external filter - even though rambo's and murray's are very tidy instals - much better that the one on my 76 t140 when i bought it - it was attached similar to theirs but was on the outside of the frame - not inside, so it got chucked
i went with motao filters for my 76 and 80 ti40s and am very happy - the only issue is getting the centrestand to clear the drain bolt, but doesn't look like that'll be a problem for you
rory

1 - 20 of 31 Posts