Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, New to the site but not to Triumphs. have had several incluidng T120, T140 and T160. Just bought a T140E which was reimported from the US back to the UK. Started fine at first and went for a quick spin up the road. Next day started fine again but only managed 100 yards from my front door. On closer inspection the tank was empty. Refilled and it hasn't started since. I thought at first that the tank going empty had pulled lots of old stuff into the carbs so I have stripped and cleaned them throughly (several times now in fact). The timing is Boyer and is OK (have reset it statically as if fitting a new system for the first time), valve clearences are all OK, good spark and strong voltage at battery. Only thing I have noticed is that the right hand carb shows fuel flooding out if the petrol tap is left on. I have fitted new viton tipped float needles but still the same problem.
2 questions
1. I am thinking about appying a small chamfer tool to the seat to ensure it is concentric has anyone else tried this. Obviously the float height would need tuning after.
2. Can this be the cause of the problem? If this carb is constantly 'signalling' for fuel due to leak past float needle would the other carb ever achieve the correct level for starting or is this fuel just drowning out the spark? After having triumphs for 20+ years this is a new one for me. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

As a final note have run the stripped carb bodies through a dishwasher cycle and carb cleaned them then blown out with compressed air.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
slightly confused as to what you have there. you say its a T140E but they had Lucas Rita ignition not Boyer. As you have confused me I will not assume what carb is on bike til you tell us. Concentric, Mark 1 1/2 or Mark II. Never heard of anyone doing that to the seats. By the way only time my fuel taps are on is when the bike is running.
Also my condolences on your owning a T160 wouldnt wish that on my brother in law.
K

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi K, Rita was std I know but this one came back with a Boyer unit fitted. Amals are std MKII's. Have recut the seat on one float bowl using a std centre drill. The seat has cleaned up perfectly. I will let you known the outcome once I have refitted it to the carb.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The recut seats are working perfectly. Cleaned up perfectly and with new viton tips they seal. Bike still not starting and running out of ideas....

·
Registered
86 Posts
T140 no start

Did you check for a leaking float? If the float has fuel inside it will never shut the needle valve. Try looking at it under a strong light
or shaking it and listening for a little rattle. Try another float or switch the floats form left to right and see if the problem chages sides.
Some floats are made in India and are slightly too big, they will catch on the bowl gasket and snag.Worth a look.

If you have spark the ignition is almost always OK.
good hunting, Todd

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input Todd. Can't begin to explain how frustrating this is. Yes there is a spark and all parameters are well within tolerances specified. Floats are fine have immersed them in a pot of petrol and no leaks/bubbles. Valves are fine, compression is OK so we have all the necessary ingredients but no combustion. Have put both carbs into a bucket of carb cleaner again....am serious running out of ideas....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, for those still following this thread please see another post I created "In search of ideas" The bike is now running very sweetly indeed. Thank you for taking the time to read, think and suggest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts