Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been away awhile and now have sold my Hog and am looking at the Rocket. How reliable is this bike? I know it is fast and bad. I have never owned a bike that left me stranded. I have run out of gas a few times though... :razz: What do I need to look at? Service agreement? The thing that my wife gets tour up about most is all the service intervals on the Harley. How is the Rocket? :cool:

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've got 43 thousand miles on my Rocket with no problems. Per the owners manual, I change the oil every 10k, and use 10/40 amsoil for motorcycles.

The valves are supposed to be checked first at 10k and then every 20k after that....about 450 bucks a shot if the dealer does it. I had mine checked at 10k and all were within limits....I skipped the 30k check but will get them checked at 50k.

The Rocket is the most reliable bike I have owned, and by far the most enjoyable.

The worst problem I have heard regarding reliability is failure of the output shaft bearing. Do a search on that and you will find very long threads on this issue.

·
Registered
97 Posts
On 2007-01-06 00:55, SliderIII wrote:
I have been away awhile and now have sold my Hog and am looking at the Rocket. How reliable is this bike? :cool:
Now if this doesn't beat all. A former Hardley owner asking if the Rocket is reliable :???:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
On 2007-01-06 09:01, Ugarte wrote:
The Rocket is the most reliable bike I have owned, and by far the most enjoyable.

/quote]

Would second Ugarte's report. Mine (like his?) is one of the early ones (assembled in the summer of '04 and purchased in Oct. that year). Only had an odd 2nd gear engagement problem @ 10'000 miles. Fixed under warranty. And it did not leave me stranded. Have nothing else to mention. No output shaft incident. No idling or decel popping problem either.

Service intervals are far-between and have been totally devoid of "surprises". Oil consumption stubbornly remains about equal to zero. Never had to add a drop of liquid to the cooling system, etc. ...

And it's, by far , the most enjoyable mount I have ever ridden. Jamie, with best wishes. :cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2007-01-06 09:14, Rocketime wrote:
Now if this doesn't beat all. A former Hardley owner asking if the Rocket is reliable :???:
[/quote]

Man, that sure is rough. I belong to a CMA chapter that has a diversity of bikes in it. Many of them are late 80's and early 90's Wings. I am sure you can agree, it isn't the miles that get a bike, but the age. Although Wings may last longer in racking up miles, the age of the rubber and plastic is what takes its toll. Those older wings have alternator, water pump, and electrical issues. Accept for the water pump, age hits them just as hard as it does Harleys.

Peace! :cool:

·
Registered
97 Posts
On 2007-01-06 13:26, SliderIII wrote:
On 2007-01-06 09:14, Rocketime wrote:
Man, that sure is rough. I belong to a CMA chapter that has a diversity of bikes in it. Many of them are late 80's and early 90's Wings. I am sure you can agree, it isn't the miles that get a bike, but the age. Although Wings may last longer in racking up miles, the age of the rubber and plastic is what takes its toll. Those older wings have alternator, water pump, and electrical issues. Accept for the water pump, age hits them just as hard as it does Harleys.

Peace! :cool:
[/quote]

Just bustin your chops Slider.

I agree with the age theory. To answer your question, I have 11,000 care free miles on my Rocket and ride with 5 others that have not had any problems. I know problems have been reported on these forums but far less than have had no breakdowns.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Rocketime. I'm getting a little more confident in looking into this ride even more. :cool:

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have an 04 bought in August of 04. Not many miles on it (@9K) but no problems either. Did have to replace the rear tire. ( They like to "eat" them....fronts not much better) Feel very "confident" in mine. Wish I could get on it more, but weather sucks around here! :(

·
Registered
623 Posts
On 2007-01-06 13:26, SliderIII wrote:
Harleys don't have many plastic parts, the rubber ones are easily replaced, and the parts guy isn't going to laugh or stare at you with a deer-in-the-headlights look if you ask for something dating back a few decades (he puts one on the counter or UPS brings it in a few days). THAT is why a guy who's ownd Hardleys would be asking such questions. I asked them before buying my first Hinckley Triumph in '98 and have yet to regret owning them or Hardleys either one.

Now if I'd bought a Goldwing I'd have to ride down the road wondering if the frame was going to break or if Billy Bob's Stock Tank Repair & General Welding where the dealer sent it for recall repair did a good job fixing it :wink:

·
Registered
617 Posts
It all depends on how you look at bike ownership I guess.....miles or years. The wings typically can get 200k miles on an engine but v-twins usually (always?) will need major work in that mileage period. If I were only going to ride 5k per year and keep the bike 20 years....no question I would buy a harley. If I were going to ride 20 to 40k per year then the wing would be the one.

The verdict is still out on the long term durability and reliability of the Rocket.....but in my opinion things are looking real good in that regard.. :-D

·
Banned
557 Posts
Warranty is two years unlimited miles.

I guess I envy your position of being in the market for another ride as I kind of miss shopping for another bike. Given your recent rides, also glad your opting to consider another brand.

Take a test ride, the longer the better.

·
Registered
623 Posts
On 2007-01-07 08:05, Ugarte wrote:
It all depends on how you look at bike ownership I guess.....miles or years. The wings typically can get 200k miles on an engine but v-twins usually (always?) will need major work in that mileage period. If I were only going to ride 5k per year and keep the bike 20 years....no question I would buy a harley. If I were going to ride 20 to 40k per year then the wing would be the one.
Yep there's no reason Goldwings shouldn't get 200K since Honda cars routinely do (that's what they are minus 2 wheels :-D )

Few aircooled engines get that far without some work but that doesn't mean they're unsuitable for riders who pile on humongous miles. The guy who has the Iron Butt Association's highest annual mileage did over 125K on a Harley in ONE year--doubt he could have achieved that if the bike was in the shop much of the time!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Guys. Looks like they marked the bikes down in Chattanooga. Starting to get the itch. :cool:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Go For It, Man! Nothing ventured, nothing gained! :hammer:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've got over 34,000km on mine, have taken it on several long range trips (5,000KM+) have not had an incident with it yet. Mine also was one of the first in North America picked mine up in Aug 2004. Changed the speedo within the first 6 months under warranty no problems since. I also religiously follow the maintenance program, do most of the work myself. Amazing piece of engineering that rocket 3!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts