Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd just about decided on a Speed Triple for my first bike for 15 years, when a mate told me he's heard several stories recently about the Triple's build quality and reliability. Some have come from a Triple owner who sounds like he's had a fair few probs.

Can I ask for comments from 'the horse's mouth' please (my mate's a Duc rider, so not really qualified here!)...what I've read is pretty much all good, but need to be sure.

Cheers

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've had mine for about a year with no issues. The build quality, fit, finish, overall satisfaction on my S3 couldn't be higher.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a 2000 Sprint RS that had a lot of reliability issues, but I got it used and it was on its second motor. I found out the first had thrown a rod through the case in a catastophic failure. That said even with all the problems that bike had it ran in the worst conditions...It limped me home more than once. I truly believe this was the exception to the rule of triumphs. I have replaced it with an 07 S3 recently, and with the proper care and maintenance I expect it to last me 100k miles or more. It has been so much fun I have a hard time not riding it, and the overall cost of maintaining it will be far less then what I see my Ducati riding friends have to shell out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just got a new sp3, based on reviews. Ive read articles, talked to dealers (Triumph and non-Triumph), and spoke to Triumph owners. Every source notes the 1050cc engine as a solid reliable engine; as long as it was properly maintained. And coming from a 2002 Ducati Monster 620cc, the maintanence of my sp3 will be considerably less. And for reference I bought my Duc new also. Broke it in properly and always had maintaence done at proper intervals; still had a leak (bad gasket) 1 yr after I bought it. Covered under warranty. No problems related to build of it other than that though.

·
Registered
657 Posts
07 S3, bought new March last year, 15k so far. Haven't seen the dealer yet, rock solid reliability. Very simple and straightforward maintenance, keep oil changed and ride it!
BTW, I had Duc too, similar experience (no problems). Seems like each camp is bashing the other side.
As far I recall, german bike magazine have evaluated reliability of the bikes on the market in '08 and rated Triumph at top, higher then BMWs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
BTW, I had Duc too, similar experience (no problems). Seems like each camp is bashing the other side.

I also have both Triumph and Ducati, and they are stellar bikes; I have not had any major problems with them. My Suzuki has always been great as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies...that's what I wanted to hear...I'll tell you if I agree when I get mine :D

Still have to finally decide if it's going to be a Speed or Street Triple...or Tiger as I'm not sure I could do without the 'proper' capacity to carry work clothes stuff (laptop, files/papers etc.)...nice dilemma to have though!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Reliability is a funny thing, There are owners of every single breed of motorcycle who has either had a good or bad experience with their bikes and will comment on that bias which is fair enough, All manufactured products are prone to some failure at some time or another it's the nature of the beast, It's whether those's failures mount up to unacceptable totals and whether the warranty and service has been sufficiant to keep the owner happy. I personally have had 4 Hinckley's and never had a problem with any of them, so on the question of reliability, yes mine have been reliable. Other's may beg to differ.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had my bike over a year and ride it year round. No issues to date. compared to the DUK you get much more bang for the buck and I think this should also be considered. There are always cars/bikes built on a Monday and they will never be right but this is true for all makes...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts