Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an '01 bonnie, a tad over 10K miles. ai removed, but otherwise stock. in an attempt for a bit more volume and tone, i got a pair of used TOR's. i then went out and got a dynajet kit, and also found a used norman hyde bellmouth. i'd already put in a K&N air filter, so i figured i was all set.
when i pulled the plugs, they pretty dark. not oily, just sooty. "oh" i thought to myself. "running a bit rich". when i pulled the old jets i found they were 110's and when i checked the pilots they were 42's.
so, the TOR's and bellmouth were easy installs. i installed new plugs, which were one step colder than the iridium eix8's that were in it, but the guy at the shop said that'd be no problem. i did the dynajet install as instructed and put the 108 dyna jets in....and it ran terribly. sputtering, backfiring, and bad hesitation until over 3K rpm's. it kind of only wanted to run with the choke all the way out. and when i pulled the plugs out they were once again sooty. figuring i was still running too rich,i tried different combos of jets and idle screw turns to lean her out and couldn't get it to run any better. i finally took all the dynajet stuff out and put everything back in with 115's. but it ran like it was really starved for fuel, and despite the sooty plugs, i figured it had to be running lean. i developed a theory- i was underjetted and maybe my float bowl was out of adjustment. i put some 122's in and checked the floatbowl height, which seemed ok. it still was sputtering and coughing and backfiring. so then i took everything out and put the dynajet springs and needle back in, three grooves from the top with two shims. a friend had what he claims are 142 dynajets from a suzuki (not from a stage 1 kit like mine) and we put them in. mixture screws are 2 1/2 or three turns out (can't really remember). it still was running crappy, but improved a lot when we covered up the bellmouth. so we put the snorkel back on.
so now it runs better, but still kind of balky under about 3K rpm. i'm gonna take it out again tomorrow to see what it does.
am i way overjetted? i'm gonna pull the plugs again to see what they look like after a few miles tomorrow.
i'm real new to this, but my friend is an experienced mechanic. what are we missing here?

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
This is the jetting recommendation for your bike with free flow filter K&N or FOAM and off road exhaust TORS.

130 main, 42 pilot, 1 shim with stock needle, 2.5 turns, needle code NAGB (stock needle). 2,5 mm air hole in slide (stock size hole)

Don't run colder plugs then what the factory recommends.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm confused. the jenk's bolts guide that i have says i want 125 mains, 42 pilots, 1 shim, 2.5 turns, stock needle and 2.5mm slide hole. this is direct from the chart in the jenk's guide. where did your info come from.
also-i'm using the dynajet kit-or trying to anyway, which confuses things further.
it rides pretty haltingly until it revs to 2.5-3K, then its better as long as it gets slow steady throttle. if you stab the throttle hard it balks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Also if you read the jenks guide not just the chart at the end , it says shim only needed when riding two up so I didnt bother with shim mine runs fine, but yes 125/42 should not be to far away

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Jenks guide for a 2001 with tors and free flow airfilter....130 - 42 1 shim. You are lookig at the wrong section of the chart, that jetting woukld be for a later model 865 engine. Be careful when you read that chart, you have to make sure you are on the proper engine and year.

IF you ride 2 up Don't shim, if you ride solo you will need to shim.

BOth of you guys have got the information boggered up here. LOL.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Look all the way to the top of that chart, you are looking at the america speedmaster or some other bike maybe an 865, but you are not looking at the proper section of the chart. You did say an 01 Bonneville ...correct? TORS... K&N???? right?

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Are those dyno jets sized different then the stock Triumph jets? All of that testing was done with the proper jets for those model name of carbs. That information was attained and done with a dyno and gas anylzer. I have found it to be about as exact as you can get. I've noticed if you vear from that chart the bike will not run totally correct.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
You guys know that Dynojet uses it's own sizing for jets don't you?....... Keihen jet sizes are different than Dynojet sizes. Do a google search and the conversion chart will come up

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Calliway thanks, I think we got the apples oranges thing going on here. He must be looking at a different chart then what i'm looking at.

I'm ut of here. BYE

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here's what i'm looking at. 2005 Jenk's guide, pg 10
clearly says:
790cc bonneville:stock needle: "off-road" exhausts & free flow Airfirfilter :stock needle: 125 main: 42 pilot: 1 shim: 2.5 turns: NAGB needle: 2.5mm air hole.
now, i know i've used my dynojet kit, but it ran pretty lousy using the Jenk's recommendations. At very least, its not running any worse with the dynajt stuff, but its still not all that good either.
what i'm wondering is why...and also what to do now.
thanks, bro's.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
here's what i'm looking at. 2005 Jenk's guide, pg 10
clearly says:
790cc bonneville:stock needle: "off-road" exhausts & free flow Airfirfilter :stock needle: 125 main: 42 pilot: 1 shim: 2.5 turns: NAGB needle: 2.5mm air hole.
now, i know i've used my dynojet kit, but it ran pretty lousy using the Jenk's recommendations. At very least, its not running any worse with the dynajt stuff, but its still not all that good either.
what i'm wondering is why...and also what to do now.
thanks, bro's.
2007 edition Jenks moved that jet up to a 130 main jet. I think people ran into problems with the 125 running too lean.

OK, go get the proper jets for that carb and start over. You need to get the proper stock heat range for those plugs. These bikes won't run right on colder plugs, read that someplace.

Try that and then let me know what is going on. I'll get you through this some how.

Cheers.....Rick, Sacramento, Cal.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Raybanjan, can you clarify which jets are you using?

Are these Keihin or Dynojet sizes you are quoting? You make mention of 108's, 110's, 115's, 122's and 142's?
What are these? There is a big difference.

As has already been said, if your fitting dynojet sizes to a Keihin (Jenks) size recommendation then you'll be way out.

You say you've fitted 142's!? Whatever that is it will be far too big for your mods. These would equate to a removed air box, pod filters and open exhaust.
If it dynojet sizing!!!.......:eek:

With your TORS, bellmouth and K&N (no other mods?) you should be looking at max 122's (Keihin) or 116's (dynojet) as a benchmark place to start.

Why not put the jetting / springs / needles etc all back to stock equipment and change one thing at a time. May get better results that way.

V.

·
Vendor
2,441 Posts
Jenks guide, is only a guide and should be taken as such, more accurate work has been carried out by many people since the last update. 130/42 will be far too rich. Ventura is spot on 122 mains with NABG needle and 40 pilots, no shim. This combo will make your bike run well.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Jenks guide is just a guide, much more accurate work has been done since. 130/42 will be far too rich. Ventura is spot on 122 mains with NABG needle and 40 pilots, no shim. This combo will make your bike run well.
I've got an 07 with air box removed, k&N pods, Predator exhaust. I have 140's and 42's in the bike. Appears to run good for me but is there a better place to be with that set up.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I've got an 07 with air box removed, k&N pods, Predator exhaust. I have 140's and 42's in the bike. Appears to run good for me but is there a better place to be with that set up.
Bin the K&N's, fit a pair of DNA's and you'll likely need to jet up to 150's or more.
You could put back your 40's too.

That'll make the difference between 'running good' and 'running better'! :)

V.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Bin the K&N's, fit a pair of DNA's and you'll likely need to jet up to 150's or more.
You could put back your 40's too.

That'll make the difference between 'running good' and 'running better'! :)

V.
+1 on what Ventura says.
I have on 05 T100 with DNA pods, Mototwin pipes, and I am running 155 mains, 40 pilots 2.5turns on the screws, all verified by my innovate A/F gauge that I have fitted to the bike.
It goes like stink!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
It goes like stink!
I can vouch for that!
Im often left trailing in the wake!! :D

Raybanjan, do you have any more info for us so we can get to the bottom of your "not running good" issues?

Im sure it'll be an easy fix to get sorted.
Going back to stock basics with the set up will be the first step, and work from there.

V.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
He needs to put the stock heat range plugs in and then get the proper jets for that carb, working with those other jets is just adding more complexity to this then need be. But yes, starting over with the proper stuff would be the only way this will ever get fixed. The Jenks recommendations are a good start and you can work down or up from there. That colder plug thing is throwing a monkey into the mix.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts