Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... :-/

So I bought my 2006 Sprint in January with 6500 miles. Single owner, absolutely mint. Perfect and never crashed or dropped. A real find!

Since owning it I have changed the oil, and tires. And of course replaced the regulator. Love the bike!! Just returned home from a 2000 mile trip south to the blue ridge to ride the dragon!

Since returning, I am officially experiencing the tank deformation that's showing itself in the bars marking contact with the rank at full lock and bubbling under the clear coat where the triumph Decals are located...

My question is; what are my chances at getting triumph to replace the tank on my 10 year old machine? I am preparing to do the 12k service and I am afraid to remove the tank and have it not fit back into place when I need to reinstall it.

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki H2 SX SE, '73 Yamaha RD350, '74 Kawasaki H1E 500
2,047 Posts
My question is; what are my chances at getting triumph to replace the tank on my 10 year old machine? I am preparing to do the 12k service and I am afraid to remove the tank and have it not fit back into place when I need to reinstall it.
If you can't get a replacement tank then you can alter the rear tank bracket. Unbolt it from the frame and file out the two bolt holes to slot them. You can then pull the bracket back a bit. You won't get a lot but it may be enough to stop the bars hitting the tank.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Mine touches steering lock to the left (right is fine, not sure why). Thanks for the simple, potentially very effective solution Champ!

Laharrier, congrats on the bike purchase! In addition to Champ's suggestion, you might try calling Triumph to inquire.. can't hurt.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great idea! Thank you! I will give this a go as I work on the bike with the tank off and I'll try to get in touch with Triumph to see if they'll replace the buggered tank. Shame to have an otherwise perfectly mint bike have two ugly white chips in the tank and bubbles under the clear coat :(

Thanks for the replies!

Anyone had any luck with having triumph replace? I know that there was a successful class action against Ducati who had their tanks made by the same manufacturer, and triumph was named in some of the materials... You'd think they would have come up with a solution for owners...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wanted to follow up also with an inquiry as to whether or not anyone has a good contact phone number for triumph in the USA. Suppose Id better save myself the hassle of a dealership and go right to the source?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

Talked to someone at Triumph in Atlanta. Basically told me to beat it. Claims triumph investigated back in 07 and couldn't replicate. I mentioned the Acerbis tanks made for triumph and ducati and that Ducati was sued at class action and lost, and he basically said "that's Ducati not us". He was very nice however and instructed me to take the bike to a dealership to have them look at it. Would really rather not do that but maybe they will have channels in place to perhaps get this tank replaced. With such low miles it seems like a no Brainer, but it IS a 10 year old machine... My major concern is it swelling and eventually failing on me. The front of the tank is making contact with the steering stem washer, which is concerning..

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
They won't replace it; I'd advise wasting no further time on it.

Cheers,
-Kit

Reactions: Laharrier
1 - 8 of 8 Posts