Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So bikes broken down. After testing R/R is at fault. Short version is ordered a replacement but not upgraded. It's a new genuine part. Most of the Mosfet one ain't in stock, or not post to me for some reason. And most other units are cheap crap or used.

Found this one T1304040. Should be £280+ from the stealers . However According to my vin number being 273*** triumph say that mine Should be T1300095 that's only one listed for my bike.

However on folwers triumph checked a million times the part that's listed for mine is the T1304040 which replaced the T1300535 (now discontinued) but speaking to them on the phone said same as other triumph dealer that mine is T1300095. On there site show sprint st 208*** onward which clearly is mine although an 05 plate.

Now a Google search reveals that each part is superseded and replaced with a revised unit.

So basically
T1300095 earlier models 30a BUT ONLY AVAILIBLE FROM FACTORY?
T1300535 SUPERSEDED
T1304040 CURRENT PART 40A

same connectors same fitting but different amps. And fit various triumph from the Sprint st to the daytona or speed triple.

Are these R/R are interchangeable?

Guessing a 40amp R/R would not work if mine requires the 30amp model

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Most three phase R/Rs are interchangeable; I just replaced the discrete regulator and rectifier on a 1974 Honda CB360 with one. If it has the same connectors it should work fine for you, but I would replace the main 30A fuse with a 40A.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
896 Posts
I would have thought that mosfet FH012's are readily available for the ST1050. I know the ones I have where shipped to me in the uk within 7 days from the USA for under $100 each, and it's where I'd be looking to buy a new one if needed.
The OEM link lead would be a simple fix for the MOSFET unit, and is/was available from the dealer for a few £'s. However the long term fix IMO is the eastern beaver kit that bypasses the OEM block under the tank.

It might sound like I'm not confident* with the charging system upgrade, as I actually have both the link lead and a new MOSFET sat in my garage.

* I am confident as it hasn't failed me in the couple of years since I did the upgrade

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK so after a bit more digging turns out the earlier ones are 50Amp not 30Amp or according to info I found maybe wrong.

Your right they are available in the USA , trouble is they say can take up to 21 days for delivery and then have to track the leads down as I'm far to neat to use simple spade connectors plus with the weather recently want to be back out as soon as possible.

However after many many phone calls emails etc etc I found a company that supplies NEW fh012s and potentially the fh020's with Triumph harness supplied and soldered joints for £99 delivered and best thing there based in the UK with 24hr courier.

So rather than taking chances I decided to go with the upgrade unit from the UK.

·
Registered
896 Posts
You are right the FH012 is a 50A unit. I got both my Mosfets from a seller (Jason Moto electrix) on eBay uk currently with complete FH012 kits for sale inc item number 380704480069
iirc The OEM link lead was £8-£9 from my triumph dealer. I used the link lead to get back on the road while I sourced the eastern beaver kit

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So new regulator arrived today. Fitted and checked twice. Only got 13.3 v not the 14v I were looking for quick Rev and now F*** all back to draining the battery.

Ran multi metre across stator wires on AC setting whilst bike running no volts at all . Looks like I'll be buying one of those this weekend.

Do they do upgraded stators or is it just OE quality replacement?

Is there any need for gasket sealant when reassembling stator cover ?

·
Registered
896 Posts
It sounds possibly like your stator is fubar'ed, because even when they fail it can be difficult to diagnose that it's completely failed while cold/stationary due to the fact the sprint stator tends to fail / breakdown when hot (this is what happened to me in southern France), but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will confirm the above.
To be on the safe side it leaves you 2 options: replace it or rewind it. Personally I'd rewind it, & having had mine done in the past by West Country windings www.westcountrywindings.co.uk (no connection) I was fortunate enough to have a spare stator on the shelf to keep me on the road while I sent my stator away for repair. I was also able to get them to modify the connectors to fit the MOSFET
The stator gasket is metal so could be reused (iirc a new gasket is £16) I used a smear of gasket cement when I reused mine, but not nessesary if the cover is re-torqued correctly it shouldn't leak

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
@Supa-nova: How did you measure the stator output? It should be measured between phases. I find it hard to imagine that you get 0V on all the three phases (windings).

What resistance do you have between each of the winding wire and the frame?

Fred

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OK so this is what I did from start to finish.
When tested the regulator across each phase and either positive or negative on the opposite connector the readings was not showing consistency. Eg 6.32 6.36 0.15 and then 0 0 .115 (if that makes sense.)
So regulator is knackered. Replaced with mosfet one. All is well.

Now testing the stator (still in the bike) got no readings at all or 0 0 0 and but continuity test shows it shorting. However when idling 0v across all phases. Triple checked I'd done everything correctly. = Not charging.

New battery , New regulator and now ordered new stator and gasket.
Before reading this post. If I'd of known the gasket was metal could of saved £21 from triumph that includes postage!

Also noticed that the old regulator has already been replaced in its life. Guessing a cheap replacement. . So God knows if the stator has been replaced with yet another cheap replacement.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also. Upon fitting the new mosfet reg it was beginning to charge but at low voltage. And after a blip of the throttle stopped charging all together and we're draining the battery.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the link. However regulator brought and fitted few days ago. But worth looking at in future if it goes bad again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts