Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a 2002 bonnie from a guy in florida. i just found out to register it in ca it has to have 7500 miles on it to be considered a used bike. it has 2000 miles on it. dmv wants the miles to be verified over 7500. any of you guys deal with this before. any suggestions. thanks

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
Auto Club of N/S Calif?

Have you tried the Auto Club? (AAA) You have to be a member. They got my out-of-state 1964 Corvair on the road in about 25 minutes - and it hadn't been registered in years!

The Auto Club is the best way to do DMV registration anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
I've heard of this nightmare before. Sorry to hear your luck.From what I hear CA is pretty stringent on this stuff. It looks like you just gotta get some tags from somewhere and rack up some miles pretty quick:)

·
Registered
866 Posts
The PRC (Peoples Republic of California) is only going to get worse when they start emission testing your bike in the not too distant future. How hard would it be for you to move out?

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I hate to add to the nightmare, and i hope i\'m wrong. But in Ca bikes are required to have a EVAP emissions system and most (tho not all) bonnies sold outside of Ca don\'t have them. So you may want to check that out because otherwise you may find you have to do that too. I was told a very few of them sold in other states DO have the EVAP only because if triumph needs to ship to dealers in other states and they don\'t have enough bonnies w/o the system, they will sometimes ship EVAP equipped bikes to states other than Ca. But very few as far as i know. You can look under the bike and look for the black plasitc cannisters under the frame just about under the carb throats.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
The PRC (Peoples Republic of California) is only going to get worse when they start emission testing your bike in the not too distant future. How hard would it be for you to move out?
Not going to happen. They just shot it down. Theres an article about it posted i think at NTFB.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not going to be moving any time soon, since i live in one of the best places in the world to ride! i just need a speedo with over 7500 on it for the day. anybody help a brother out. i am dying to ride this thing!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
not going to be moving any time soon, since i live in one of the best places in the world to ride! i just need a speedo with over 7500 on it for the day. anybody help a brother out. i am dying to ride this thing!
I'm sorry, it is not as simple as a the speedo. Pull the RH side cover off and look at the EPA emissions sticker. If it is a 49 state bike it will say so; if it is a CA bike it will specifically state approved for use and sale in CA. The DMV knows about the sticker, where to look for it, and definitely will inspect it. I know, I've been through this on a TX bike I purchased off e-bay. I have another T100 I purchased in MT, and will need to jump through some hoops to get it registered in Cali. :eek:

Dick

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sorry, it is not as simple as a the speedo. Pull the RH side cover off and look at the EPA emissions sticker. If it is a 49 state bike it will say so; if it is a CA bike it will specifically state approved for use and sale in CA. The DMV knows about the sticker, where to look for it, and definitely will inspect it. I know, I've been through this on a TX bike I purchased off e-bay. I have another T100 I purchased in MT, and will need to jump through some hoops to get it registered in Cali. :eek:

Dick
from what i understand , if the bike has over 7500 miles it is considered used. that is the only way to register a 49 state bike in CA.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yep, it's one or the other: either the bike has the CA emissions sticker OR it has 7,500 miles but it doesn't need both. See, you should have ridden the bike back to CA and you'd be alot closer. ;)

If you have family out of CA, perhaps you could use their address and register it there for tag purposes and then switch it to CA tags once you're over the required mileage.

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
AMA kills CA Smog Testing

Not going to happen. They just shot it down. Theres an article about it posted i think at NTFB.
Thanks to we AMA members flooding Sacramento with emails protesting it.

Protect your moto rights - Join AMA!

Back on topic: I'm sorry you're having this problem, bobbo. I can only suggest looking for a crashed Bonnie speedo. Start calling the wreckers.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I'm still confused as to the significance of the 7500 Miles. So, if it has less than that is it still considered new? I mean it takes a while to put that many miles on a bike.....
:cool:

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm still confused as to the significance of the 7500 Miles. So, if it has less than that is it still considered new? I mean it takes a while to put that many miles on a bike.....
I think what they don't want is people buying a bike "just over the border" and then selling it to a friend... thus the used vehicle mileage requirement.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to we AMA members flooding Sacramento with emails protesting it.

Protect your moto rights - Join AMA!

Back on topic: I'm sorry you're having this problem, bobbo. I can only suggest looking for a crashed Bonnie speedo. Start calling the wreckers.
thats what i was thinking about the speedo. just have to find one at wreckers .
if anybody knows of one for sale please let me know. ama rocks! thanks guys

·
Registered
471 Posts
It took me two weeks last summer!:D

However, if I had a Bonnie with more than 7500 miles on it I would gladly ship the speedo to him for a week.

Jim :cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It took me two weeks last summer!:D

However, if I had a Bonnie with more than 7500 miles on it I would gladly ship the speedo to him for a week.

Jim :cool:
thats what i'm talking about jim! need a speedo for a couple of hours, get it signed off...... done.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts