Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a decent way to remove the rear reflectors from the fender without leaving residue or wrecking the fender? I noticed Keef managed to do it. What does it take?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I sprayed the reflector with lift-off, then used dental floss to slip that sucker right off
G

·
Registered
589 Posts
I just pulled mine right off, and the rest of the tape that was left came off with rubbing my finger on it. Simple enough I thought.

Nathan

·
Registered
166 Posts
yup, I just pulled mine off too. Then just rubbed off the excess tape residue w/ my finger. Hairdryer or other sounds better, but either way they'll come off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Same here, just pulled right off. The glue too. Gotta admit that while pulling off the first one I was concerned about pulling paint. The bike looks much better with out 'em.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I ripped them off like the others. Then went back later with a roto zip and cut most of the fender off.

The roto zip is the way to go.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Huh. Sounds good. Maybe I'll give 'er a try this spring. Although I'm a bit worried that I've waited too long, but maybe the extra time will have made the glue more brittle?

I also plan to replace one of the front down tubes of the frame after hitting it on a curb (yeah, I was jumping a boulevard due to traffic). Thank-God the new frames can be disassembled in such a way! On an old Bonnie I'd be left with the dent, or a non-numbers matching bike!

Actually, I hope I have time to do either since I just purchased a '66 Norton Atlas project bike! The days are being counted...

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Street Twin
2,422 Posts
VERY easy to do. I used dental floss and ran it under the reflector, basically through the thin foam film. Sliced it right off. Then sprayed WD-40 on the glue residue and rubbed with a paper towel till all was clean. Took 5 minutes with no scratches to the plastic rear fender.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Wow. Never thought of dental floss. I have always heated and then used WD. Good ideas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts