Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...has anyone tried the stuff?

I have a couple of aluminum parts in mind that I'd like to have a polished finish... but I don't see that happening. So I was wondering if this stuff might be an easy alternative.

Here's the only pic I could find that claims they used it. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I just had my pipes ceramic coated - price is not much different than PC. This stuff looks very much like polished aluminum - much more so than my frame which was done in the chrome PC and then tinted with Black Chrome. As far as polishing yourself - I have done nearly every piece of aluminum on my bike and its not real hard to achieve nice results.

Frame - not so shiny.

Pipes are shiny -

·
Registered
666 Posts
I just this evening tried my initial stab at powder coating. I chose the reflective chrome as my test powder, probably not the best choice but what the heck. It looks better than the old chrome metal paint you can buy in a spray bomb but defintely not the same as chrome. Could be my inexperience but I tried various thicknesses on a part and cooked it as spec'd so I am thinking it was done right. More to learn on this one for sure. I will go with satin black on my battery box as I am thinking that will be a bit easier one to lay right.

I would think for smaller parts I agree to polish if you want em shiney. That just looks like you worked hard too, earns my respect.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Looks like st#$^T in person. Use a metal polishing shop they should be able to knock that stuff quick and about the same price. You could also chrome it for like 4 times the price..

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Road Dog - those mirrors look to be Anodized - if that is the case the prep work for you will be greatly increased do to having to remove the anodized coating. You can remove with go old fashion Lye - or buy special strippers for chrome/anodized parts. Or you can sand it off but its difficult on odd shaped pieces where you can't get into the hard to reach areas. Not even aircraft grade paint stripper will touch the stuff though - at least on the Triumph factory anodized parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts