Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

As a noob to this Forum, I have a couple of comments on the new generation supersports triple which is the 675.

My '06 bike proved to be quick, grunty, and characterful, with excellent handling even on standard suspension providing good rubber is fitted. However, I DO NOT understand the rationale behind the underseat exhaust system for a road bike, even if it is a good example of the mass centralization pioneered by Honda et al. I found the bike downright uncomfortable to ride in warm weather after about 30 mins due to the massive amount of radiated heat around my arse.... The post-04 R1 also suffers from the same design, even tho' it has two cans to dissipate the heat. Yes, I know that one can buy an aftermarket side-exit system from Arrow, but when you have already spent around £8,000 on the bike this should not be necessary!

Second point. When will Triumph see the light and make a new litre supersports Daytona-styled bike (with underbelly exhaust) for us fans of the British bike??

That's it, folks - rant over.

SteelyDan

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Welcome SD! Are their heat shields that can be placed between the exhaust and the tail section to eliminate some of the problem? I don't know.

You may want to ask in the Sport and Touring forum. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Poor heat dissipation from the underseat exhaust system on the 675 Daytona

Triumph reckoned that the heat radiated from the system was "average" and "within design tolerance". I did not agree, and that is why I tried using an additive in the cooling system to reduce coolant temperature by improving the speed at which the radiator sheds heat - but still no good.

Other owners tried wrapping their exhaust manifold, but it looks naff (rubbish). It is not JUST the end can which radiates heat, but the entire pipe from the headers down is VERY hot and runs very close to the rider's thighs and legs. POOR design, pure and simple....:(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts