Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided the hard starting and occasional rough running of my '05 Sprint is due to dirty injectors. The bike was idle for a number of months, never started, with fuel un-stablized.

Given that Triumph tanks are some of the few that comes pre-lined from the factory, should I be concerned that the Redline brand injector cleaner might damage the lining?

Also ... what's the best procedure for using the cleaner? I'd planned to wait until there was less than a gallon in the tank, then dump two ounces of redline cleaner, ride for 20 miles, then refill.

As always, TIA ...

·
Registered
509 Posts
I tend to distrust most snake oils for this stuff. An exception would be Sea Foam. If the injectors are fouled with varnish from prolonged storage, it will take a bunch of additives to get them clean.

Your profile doesn't show your location but, if you anywhere near Long Beach, CA you might consider RC Engineering. They offer a cleaning service for fuel injectors that involves both ultrasonic cleaning and running the injectors on their machine using special cleaning fluid (likely methanol). They can then check each of the injectors for flow and spray pattern.

BTW, if you have been around motorcycles awhile, the RC in that is Russ Collins, who built a number of top fuel bikes back in the day. They really do have technicians there who know what they are doing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tend to distrust most snake oils for this stuff. An exception would be Sea Foam. If the injectors are fouled with varnish from prolonged storage, it will take a bunch of additives to get them clean.

Your profile doesn't show your location but, if you anywhere near Long Beach, CA you might consider RC Engineering. They offer a cleaning service for fuel injectors that involves both ultrasonic cleaning and running the injectors on their machine using special cleaning fluid (likely methanol). They can then check each of the injectors for flow and spray pattern.

BTW, if you have been around motorcycles awhile, the RC in that is Russ Collins, who built a number of top fuel bikes back in the day. They really do have technicians there who know what they are doing.
Thanks ... great tip. I remember reading about Collins' quarter-mile exploits back in the day.

I live in the Bay Area. I'll give the redline a try before I let anyone perform open-heart surgery on my bike. Unless, of course, someone tells me it will melt the lining of my tank. If that doesn't work I may ride down to Long Beach on a long weekend.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
What is this lining you speak of? As far as I know an 05 tank is plastic.

Bin the Red Line, go with the SeaFoam, and warn the neighbors to expect smoke.

·
Registered
509 Posts
No need to ride all the way down there. They probably won't do any work on the bike anyway. Call them, pull the injectors yourself and Fedex them down there. They can usually turn something like this around in a day or two.

You may wish to consider new O-rings if the bike is more than 4 or 5 years old. They do deteriorate/swell and that can make it a PITA to remount them.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Before you go through the trouble of pulling your injectors try the cleaner. I have used Redline stuff before and found it OK, but this was all car oils. For the bike our shop all uses the Lubro Moly Jectron fuel injection cleaners and they really do a good job of cleaning stuff up. When I use it I pour the either the entire bottle or half, if I go for the whole bottle I run the bike until it is basically empty. But either way when running the cleaner through the bike I try to run a complete tank without much stopping.

Now our shop owner will only use and push cleaners the come in metal bottles, he says anything worth using will eat a plastic bottle. Don't know if I drink this Kool Aid, but to each their own.

Gary

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is this lining you speak of? As far as I know an 05 tank is plastic.

Bin the Red Line, go with the SeaFoam, and warn the neighbors to expect smoke.
ugghhh ... it certainly LOOKS like a steel tank. i'd read somewhere that triumph and BMW are the only manufacturers that still line tanks with latex to ward of rust. maybe my info is out of date.

i'll assume that the injector cleaner is compatible.

it is redline injector cleaner, not oil. and it comes highly recommended. if there is interest, i'll report back here on the results. if not, i'll just keep my fingers crossed.

thanks.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The 2005 Sprints came with a plastic tank. If your tank is metal it has been replaced at some point. The metal tanks Triumph uses are not lined with anything. Next time you are at the dealer check out some of the insides of the tanks, you will probably see some rust.

I realized you were talking about Redline fuel injector cleaner, all I was trying to say is that Redline in general makes good products, so the quality of the cleaner should also be good.

And please report back about your experience.

Gary

·
Registered
37 Posts
could always hold a magnet near it (preferably one with cloth on it) just to see if your tank is metal but like they said the triumph metal tanks dont have a liner in them. i do recommend seafoam too, btw.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As promised, here is my report on the Redline fuel injector cleaner.

I waited until I had one gallon (or less) of fuel, then dumped in 1/2 bottle of the cleaner. Bike ran like crap immediately after, but I viewed it as tough love, and nearly drained the tank. Must have been running on a ratio of about 4/1 (gas/cleaner).

After that I topped it off with premium and noticed an immediate improvement in starting, throttle response and smoothness.

This marks the first time I've tried this type of cleaner, and I'm delighted with the results. I'll probably wait 'til the tank is low again and dump the rest in, just to make sure I've purged the fuel precipitate.

The 2005 Sprints came with a plastic tank. If your tank is metal it has been replaced at some point. The metal tanks Triumph uses are not lined with anything. Next time you are at the dealer check out some of the insides of the tanks, you will probably see some rust.

I realized you were talking about Redline fuel injector cleaner, all I was trying to say is that Redline in general makes good products, so the quality of the cleaner should also be good.

And please report back about your experience.

Gary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts