Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks,

Sorry for re-asking this question, but I'm sorta at wits end. I took my tank to be painted and, with the tank off, installed the rectifier relocator and the airbox removal kit.

The electrical system turns on fine, except the fuel indicator doesn't appear. At all. And when I start the bike, so long as I have the starter depressed, it will start; but as soon as I let the starter go, the bike shuts down.

Now here's the feedback I got at the shop: no fuses blown, no error codes. They're having problems getting the air/fuel mixture right (going to send my ECU for a retune soon). But they're not sure what's going on, and to keep working on it they want to put the stock airbox back in, which I don't want to do.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would check the lock out switch on the clutch lever as this also affects the fuel sender.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sounds like they are clutching at straws ! Were there any sensors or wiring to the airbox that may have been damaged ?
Also , was there anything that might have been displaced or missed with the tank re & re ? Peter

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like they are clutching at straws ! Were there any sensors or wiring to the airbox that may have been damaged ?
Also , was there anything that might have been displaced or missed with the tank re & re ? Peter
I've been wondering the same thing. The impression I got from the shop (going to tow the bike from the shop this week so I'll ask them about this) is that they're not willing to investigate this too deeply since it's an aftermarket mod.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My God , next thing they'll say is different mirrors are the reason they won't check further . Are there any minimum government standards to
work on motorized vehicles ? Peter

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My God , next thing they'll say is different mirrors are the reason they won't check further . Are there any minimum government standards to
work on motorized vehicles ? Peter
Well, to be fair, iirc CA shops can't legally install aftermarket airbox mods, so perhaps their hands are kind of tied here? Generally this shop has offered excellent service

·
Registered
287 Posts
^ Possibly , but they're pretty much off the hook if they didn't install them . And my earlier remark concerning 'clutching at straws' still stands .
If the computer they're using doesn't give them the answer , are they lost ? Certainly with some mechanical aptitude they could start eliminating
the possibilities . I'm here making an enormous assumption that the bike ran before with those mods done to it . Peter

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes those are good points. After speaking with a different mechanic and with Remy at BAAK (thanks to BAAK for the wonderful customer service), it seems that the problem is almost surely with the fuel pump or filter, not the airbox kit.

So yeah it's pretty disappointing that the shop wouldn't even look into this. C'est la vie!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, leaving this here in case it helps anyone else: turns out it was the tip over sensor. I neglected to remount the sensor properly, so the sensor kept telling the ECU that the bike was sideways, hence the fuel being cut to the engine. Removed the sensor and it rides beautifully :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts