Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to find a Rectifier/Diode combo to replace the old rectifier and Zener on a 71 TR6.

Does anyone know of an electronics supply store (somethiong like radio shack?) that may carry a valid replacement? (i am in NC)

And because I don't know much about electronics what exactly would I be asking for (specific name or part#)?

I know I can order off ebay, but was hoping to pick up local and fast.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Revok,

Do yourself a favour and eliminate the rectifier/diode combo with and all in one unit. ie. PODtronics single phase 12v rectifier regulator (basically stops your battery from getting fried and converts the current from your alternator from AC to DC). This makes life so much easier. basically you have 4 wires coming out of the device. red and black to battery/earth, the other two go to your alternator. You dont need the zener diode if you use one of these. approx 50 bucks. search for them on ebay!

VB

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi everyone
I'm working on a 71 Bonneville. At this time, I've gone through the wiring loom from stem to stearn and everything is looking fit. The difficulty that I'm having is that I am blowing the main fuse as soon as I turn on the ignition.

From what I've read, this is most likely a problem with the Zener diode. Is this true? The only other weakness that I've found is a loose battery post. I've hooked a volt meter across my battery posts and tried to wiggle them to see if there was a change, but to no avail.

I also have a Tympany rectifier unit enroute at this time and am planning on eliminating the Zener/rectifier entirely.

Does it sound like I'm on the right path? Just wanted a sanity check...

Thanks
Geldmacher

·
Super Moderator
13,589 Posts
Sparx
Mity max
Tympanium
Boyer power box
Podtronics

All of the above do the same job.

Not more than a dollars' difference in actual performance.

I personally like the Sparx "finned egg" unit that goes under the headlight, for the retro look.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Hi everyone
I'm working on a 71 Bonneville. At this time, I've gone through the wiring loom from stem to stearn and everything is looking fit. The difficulty that I'm having is that I am blowing the main fuse as soon as I turn on the ignition.
Something is shorting the hot side to ground.

If zener, one quick check is disconnecting the zener and turn on ignition and see if fuse blows. (You do have the battery connected right way round? - not taking the piss, sometimes these things happen)

Another possibility is a wire rubbing on something and shorting against the frame. I recently had this with handlebar switch where a wire was pinched and had rubbed through the insulation and was touching the bars.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Something is shorting the hot side to ground.

Another possibility is a wire rubbing on something and shorting against the frame. I recently had this with handlebar switch where a wire was pinched and had rubbed through the insulation and was touching the bars.
Ditto!!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hi everyone

From what I've read, this is most likely a problem with the Zener diode. Is this true? The only other weakness that I've found is a loose battery post. I've hooked a volt meter across my battery posts and tried to wiggle them to see if there was a change, but to no avail.

I also have a Tympany rectifier unit enroute at this time and am planning on eliminating the Zener/rectifier entirely.

Does it sound like I'm on the right path? Just wanted a sanity check...

Thanks
Geldmacher
+1 The same thing was happening to my '68 BSA... Replaced diode and rectifier with Tympanium - no more problems!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts