Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into a trailer to tow at least 2 bikes. I've seen the trailer in a bag and assorted others. It looks like if I want something new it'll be in the $2-$3K range in price. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I'm going to suggest an enclosed trailer, which I think is what you're looking for. I'm using a "Toy Carrier" which came with the wheel chock (a very good one, at that) and an integral, pull out, loading ramp to ride the bike up into it. The whole top pivots forward for loading and it's made of molded plastic which keeps the weight to around 800 pounds. I bought it new for about $4000, but there must be some, or others like it, out there in the "used" category. Check the web. I've been to Daytona with both open and enclosed ones, and enclosed is the only way to really go.

Also, the "village idiot's" wife (aka: "SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED) always seems to find the need to cram extra stuff in the trailer.........and it has to stay dry!! Jim

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I have a very large utility trailer, 16' double axle. There are plenty of smaller ones available. They are inexpensive and can be used for a lot of things besides bikes. If I were just towing 2 bikes I'd probably look at something like a 5x8 or 5x10 with the gate ramp. Then you could also use it for whatever you needed to haul.

I also use mine for the tractors, hay, construction supplies and taking large amounts of crap to the dump (like I need to bash out all my plaster walls and ceilings upstairs; it will be perfect!).

·
Registered
485 Posts
5 x 8 is almost perfect for 2 bikes. That is an open trailer. Don't know if it might be too tight in an enclosed trailer.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
I have a 6X10 single axle utility trailer (Big Tex) I bought used. It holds 2 sports bikes.
Two wheel chocks bolted to the bed and tie downs around the edges for straps.
Works well and only set me back a grand.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I bought a used Pace enclosed 6X10 trailer through Craigslist that already had two motorcycle chocks and the tie downs installed. Is a few years old but got it for $1300. Well worth getting an enclosed trailer. The 6X10 is just big enough for two bikes if you are getting an enclosed trailer.....

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
I had mine made by a local fabricator for $1800 (AUD). The black box welded on the back stop is called a Toy Lock, & has 25 ft of plastic wrapped cable spooled on a reel. As the name says, it locks my toy to the trailer, & cost $250. Also costing $250, & an essential addition if you're loading the bike by yourself, is the black wheel brace, welded into the centre channel. It hold's the bike vertical while I get the tie-downs in place, & has paid for itself many times over.
I've considered getting it enclosed, but I don't mind my bike being out in the weather. It is a Triumph, after all.:D

·
Registered
311 Posts
I would absolutely only be looking at enclosed trailers.

I don't know what bikes you're planning on towing, but I think if one of them is the FJR you'll probably need something bigger than a 6x8 to be able to load them comfortably.

I've got a double axle v-nose trailer (either 12' or 16' long including the v, I can never remember right) that I can put 4 bikes in, with two of them being an FJR and a Sprint. Mine's an older trailer (1997), but I got it used a couple years ago for under $2000 and am certainly getting my money's worth out of it. While new trailers are nice, you can get a whole lot more for your money by going the used route.

Here's a thread on mine and some of the modifications I've made to it.

[EDIT]
As far as recommendations go, if I were doing it again, I'd probably try to find something with the wheels outside it in order to have taller inside height, so I don't have to be hunched over inside it. And I would absolutely not be looking for anything smaller than what I bought, it's nice having something that big....as long as you have something to tow it with, anyway.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I really, really like my Kendon.

-simpson
+1...Just sold mine a few months ago when I moved. Had it for about 8 years. Absolutely trouble free, light, well made, easy to store, great to haul. Not covered, but hauled 2 sportbikes many miles. If I ever need to buy another trailer, it will be another Kendon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is that Kendon the duel standup trailer? I'm a little cramped for storage with 2 bikes, 2 scooters and 2 cars. Something I can fold up to store would be the ticket.

Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts