Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a book(s) that touches on most everything a motorcycle mechanic would need to know?

I know there are individual bike manuals but I am looking for something that gives an explanation as well as direction.

Everything from doing brakes, clutches, electrical etc.

I would like some sort of a motorcycle mechanics bible to read and learn from. Any bibles out there to recommend?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
For specific knowledge and direction, get a service manual. For general "how does this work?" stuff, there are thousands of books out there.

A service manual would be your best-bet. It has the info you need (specs, directions, diagnostics) and you can learn how your bike works.

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Maintenance. It's clearly-written and well-illustrated, although it skimps on details in some subjects.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's great. I found one called Motorcycle Mechanics by George Lear and Lynn S Mosher from 1977. Looks decent.

Thanks again for the suggestions

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
SeeMore, Balto, you have provided specific, useful answer to the OP's query. This is an act punishable by the Air Supply closet, unless you apologize immediately and promise not to do it again.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Oops. Let's talk about oil.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I recently bought the Triumph Service Manual. It is phenominal and explains how things work as well as how to wrench the bike. I would highly recommend it. You will need to order it through your dealer.
There is no Hayne's, or other, manual yet that covers the fuel injected T-100, so the actual service manual was the only option, and it was a good buy.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Hey bikergal. I bought the Triumph Service manual from my dealer last month. Got a heck of deal. Almost $170 :rolleyes:. Oh well since I changed my oil and filter for $70 in November, and now this manual, that will be the $250 that will cover the 10000km service I just did myself. The bright side is that this manual will save me thousands ;)

I'm just looking for things I have no clue about,..electrical system, etc. I will figure it out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey bikergal. I bought the Triumph Service manual from my dealer last month. Got a heck of deal. Almost $170 :rolleyes:. Oh well since I changed my oil and filter for $70 in November, and now this manual, that will be the $250 that will cover the 10000km service I just did myself. The bright side is that this manual will save me thousands ;)

I'm just looking for things I have no clue about,..electrical system, etc. I will figure it out.
I really like that manual- there is information about electrical that even I can understand!
I paid $115 for mine- I think it will be well worth it.

By the way, when you first changed your oil, did you switch to fully synthethic? This was the recommendation at the shop, and that is what they did. There is no turning back now- I will be paying about $18 a litre for the oil- yikes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Modern Motorcycle Mechanics has been referred to repeatedly as THE motorcyclist's bible. And, even though the book doesn't go much further than 1974 (a more appropriate title would be Vintage Motorcycle Mechanics) author J.B. Nicholson does describe just about everything as it pertains to a motorcycle. Recommended reading.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Modern Motorcycle Mechanics has been referred to repeatedly as THE motorcyclist's bible. And, even though the book doesn't go much further than 1974 (a more appropriate title would be Vintage Motorcycle Mechanics) author J.B. Nicholson does describe just about everything as it pertains to a motorcycle. Recommended reading.
Definitely will look into that

By the way, when you first changed your oil, did you switch to fully synthethic? This was the recommendation at the shop, and that is what they did. There is no turning back now- I will be paying about $18 a litre for the oil- yikes.
Yup fully synthetic,..with the Triumph filter and little washer. $115 for your manual,..lucky you. Sometimes I think the dealer just makes up the prices as they go to see who will pay it. That's why I don't buy stuff from them anymore.;)

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

Read through this website. It has a lot of good general info.
This course is designed for three types of people.

1. People who want to do their own work.
2. People who want to know how the work is done, but do not want to do it themselves.
3. People who want to do it, for Pay, for other people.

That's great. Thanks Billbikes

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Yeah, that's constructive.
:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts