Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oil change time has arrived on my 95' Triple. Who offers a quality, cheap oil filter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
G'day Vox T,

"Quality" and "cheap" are often not found together in the same sentence!

There is a sticky at the top of the T3 forum page called "T3 Parts Interchangeability", there is a list of compatable oil filters there.

I used the triumph filter last time, it wasn't too expensive either...

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
316 Posts
Agreed Roden
Quality and cheap is an oxymoron

I have aTriumph factory filter ready to go in.
The dealer doesn't discount anything

I've used Fram filters in other bikes.
My Suzuki gets a new Fram every 2K never had a problem

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
There is a school of thought that says the Fram filters are poorly constructed. Fram's response to that seems fairly convincing to me. I am undecided on the Fram issue.

Other than Fram, the other filters for the T3 bikes are pretty much the same, quality-wise. They're also pretty close price-wise. None of them come with the proper O-rings, AFAIK.

Note that the case is different with the spin-on filters for my RS & similar bikes. In that case, the Purolator Pure One & Mobil-1 filters are demonstrably superior.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
The only filter that ever failed on me was a Framm (spin-on) that I put on my Sportster. I got it because it was half the price of oem but it ruptured on a cold morning start after nightshift and bled my bloody expensive Pennsoil all over the tarmac...

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
WIX is reasonably priced and you can get it at the auto part store. Have also heard good things about Purolator and the same bad things about Fram. You probably get what you pay for.

·
Registered
04 Speedmaster, 05 Tiger
336 Posts
I've been using K&Ns on my Tiger and Speedmaster. No problems so far

1 - 7 of 7 Posts