Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
It has been a while but I'm back on a Thunderbird. I purchased this 2003 a few days ago and I'm very impressed with the power and not bad handling of this beautiful bike. 6 speed too! Unbelievable condition for 17 years old and 68,000km. Turning heads everywhere I go, plenty of positive comments even though it is bloody LOUD- Thunderbike 3 into 1 exhaust.
Can the Speedtriple handle bars go on it without cable change overs or riser changes? Need something lower and wider.
Is the seat unique to the model or does the Bonneville/Thruxton seat fit? I want to get one with a café hump, I'll take the back rest off too.
Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Beautiful bike, congratulations. I think you’ll find that other seats won’t fit, at least not without a lot of work. Mybe you’ll get lucky and find one on EBay.

·
Registered
224 Posts
That is a really nice looking bike just the way it is - well done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
You already have a lot of length in the cables due to the higher bars that are on. The older (7/8”) speed triple bars will fit but they are about 27-28” wide. I managed to fit up to 30” wide with the stock cables and your cables should be at least 3-4” longer than my Triumph Thunderbird Sport.

Can you remove the seat with a key or with the two bolts? Most legend, Triumph Thunderbird Sport seats will fit depending on the locking mechanism your bike has.

IMO the legend seat is the most comfortable but you may love your original seat once you have the bars on and remove the backrest.

I would have gladly taken that thunder bike exhaust off of you if you were closer.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Good looking machine :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice bike man, I installed Speed Triple bars from Sprint Manufacturing with all the original cables, looks and works great. I would also suggest a shorter rear fender if you want a more retro-sport look. Don't know about the seats, sorry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your positive replies. There isn't much to do to this bike and I'm not in a hurry to do it either. I just keen to enjoy it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi ventura01 and all, I have also just joined the forum after buying a black 1998 Thunderbird on 19th January 2020. The bike has done 25K miles and I am the 6th owner. I am retired and have not ridden since the early 80s! This will be my weekend project bike which I hope to have back on the road by April 2020 for summer riding. First deep inspection will be this weekend but I can already see that there is carb work needed and the filter airbox is damaged and a leaking Petcock which I believe is a common problem. Not sure if I will perform the "airbox mod" which seems very popular or just restore to original. No pics yet but I will post some shortly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi ventura01 and all, I have also just joined the forum after buying a black 1998 Thunderbird on 19th January 2020. The bike has done 25K miles and I am the 6th owner. I am retired and have not ridden since the early 80s! This will be my weekend project bike which I hope to have back on the road by April 2020 for summer riding. First deep inspection will be this weekend but I can already see that there is carb work needed and the filter airbox is damaged and a leaking Petcock which I believe is a common problem. Not sure if I will perform the "airbox mod" which seems very popular or just restore to original. No pics yet but I will post some shortly.
Picture or it did not happend :p

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
Not sure if I will perform the "airbox mod" which seems very popular or just restore to original.
My advice, unless it requires a large cash outlay, is to get it running right first before starting on any modifications.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Thank you all for your positive replies. There isn't much to do to this bike and I'm not in a hurry to do it either. I just keen to enjoy it.
I agree. Nice bike, just the way it is. Too many of these are getting the "hacksaw" treatment. Mine has had some minor changes over the years but is mostly original and still beautiful with a bit or patina and 60k on the clock. ...J.D.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I completely agree with Wire-Wheels

1 - 12 of 12 Posts