Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, new to forum.thought i'd contribute.. in process of rebuilding front suspension on 72 tiger..badly weeping seals..after getting everything apart it appeared i had extra parts that were not included in workshop manual..thought odd so called my parts guy for advise...seems the part (listed as end plug mfg#H4076) had come apart and become 3 seperate items. parts guy tell me was part of factory recall..my part was aluminum new part is steel. also $35 a piece..anyone else had this experience? was able to press fit items back together but if they both came apart once guess they could again...causes slop in lower suspension legs..probably caused my weepy seals...

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Just went thru my old service bulletins and find no mention of a recall for the part you mention. That doesnt mean there wasnt a recall just I find no service bulletins on it and I never heard of this one. I would think leaking seals were probably caused by dried bugs on the tubes, scored tubes or old seals.
I do have a service bulletin dated 11/10/71 stating a improved fork seal was being put into service. Appears same part number was used as in '71 just an updated part.
As far as the old 97-4076 that you have pressed back together if it were me I would buy the new parts as we are dealing with both the steering and front suspension. (Note failure of either may cause a religious experience) If you reuse the old parts take the money you save and go see your insurance agent. Maybe he can help you get an accidental death/dismemberment policy

jus my pinion

1 - 2 of 2 Posts