Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just taken the carbs apart on my half restored 68 Bonnie. I think they are original. Well, after taking them apart I was shocked to find out there's quite a few parts missing from them. There's a jet or two missing, both air slides, spings and several other peices i probably dont know of. Bolts are all a mismatch so need replacing. One of the main slides slides very smoothly (maybe too much) the other one sticks.

Is it worth rebuilding these things or should i open up my wallet and buy a new set?

Cheers, Kevin.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
From the pic they look good enough to rebuild.The left hand carb in your picture (right hand one) looks the most complete.
As for the right hand carb in your pic (left one) it looks like someone has screwed the needle jet into the jet holder from the wrong end?? it also looks like the emulsion tube is missing (short brass tube seen down venturi)

·
Registered
482 Posts
I always replace with new carbs, it's a waste of time trying to rebuild old ones, the bore is always worn out, you can bore and sleeve, but cost wise there probably isn't a lot of difference, quite often the airways are blocked and need ultrasonic cleaning, so time wise you will be hours behind, setting float heights etc.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, just looked on their site: 78 quid each. So probably about $350 for a set shipped over to USA. Thanks for the feedback. I think Ill forgoe the work and buy a new set. That way i can narrow down the variables if I have problems getting the bike running.
Thanks everyone.

Anyone want to buy a set slightly used of 930 Amals? :D

·
Registered
506 Posts
Air slides

Kev,
There are probably more carbs running without air slides than with them. I have run both my bikes without them for the last 32 years without problems, starting from cold both at -5oC and up to 30oC.

Have a look on ebay, sometimes new carbs come up for sale there.
Mark

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kev,
There are probably more carbs running without air slides than with them. I have run both my bikes without them for the last 32 years without problems, starting from cold both at -5oC and up to 30oC.

Have a look on ebay, sometimes new carbs come up for sale there.
Mark
I saw a chopper forum where they mostly put a stub nut on the air cable entry on top of the carbs. I'd probably do the same thing but already have the throttle assembly with the air cable housing piece fitted so it'd probably look wierd with no cable.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
OK! I'm going against the grain again, but I would rebuild those carbs and save the money for something that may come up later which can't be rebuilt. They seem like a pretty straight forward thing to rebuild. I'm planning on rebuilding mine this coming winter so maybe I'll change my mind once I have done it. :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Uk/us

I wonder if it is more a case of UK fuel versus US fuel as the need for choke slides at all rather than weather conditions.

Mark

·
Registered
72 Posts
im with Ohio-rider on this one.

granted i have the later square bowl mk2's on my 78 but these things are a Piece of cake to rebuild. Im no gearhead although i have learned quite a bit over the years.

I can rip my carbs off my bike, compleatly strip and blow out all the orifices and put them back together with new gaskets inside of 2 hrs easy, (while eating a pizza).

if you have the bucks to spare, go new... if not and you want a better understanding of how your bike breaths fire, rebuild.

only you can make that decision.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
i forgot... if you dont have one get a good parts manual with a exploded view and a service manual. sometimes you wont know your missing something if you dont have something to compair it to...

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im with Ohio-rider on this one.

granted i have the later square bowl mk2's on my 78 but these things are a Piece of cake to rebuild. Im no gearhead although i have learned quite a bit over the years.

I can rip my carbs off my bike, compleatly strip and blow out all the orifices and put them back together with new gaskets inside of 2 hrs easy, (while eating a pizza).

if you have the bucks to spare, go new... if not and you want a better understanding of how your bike breaths fire, rebuild.

only you can make that decision.....
I really wouldnt mind going the rebuild route, if I could be sure I could keep the costs down to less than $150 I'd do it. Also, Id really want to be sure about the slides -- with or without new slides am I going to ever be sure the body isnt worn? I dont want to re-sleeve, rather just go new in that case.

Keeping the 40-year old carbs going is appealing, but I dont want to spend $150 and find out it was money down the drain!

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
My carbs have never had air-slides (choke).
But, I was told to block off the cable holes, with silicon filler.
Rebuild unless the throttle slides are very loose.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
My carbs have never had air-slides (choke).
But, I was told to block off the cable holes, with silicon filler.
Rebuild unless the throttle slides are very loose.
Call me nuts, but I think I will try and rebuild them. I'd really like to have the original carbs running again.

GPZ: I'm really curious what you would do in this situation if you had a restore project going for a client. Would you rebuild the carbs and if so would you be confident in their longevity?? Cheers.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Kev,

With all the missing bits, meaning someone else has been in
there before, just replace them. Who know what they have
done to the carburators. Most of the problems on this forum
have been new owners sorting out past owners' work.

Remember, your time and trouble are also worth something
as well, so in the end you will not save anything when compairing
new vs rebuilt.

New will work, rebuilt may work.

Pookybear

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Yes, just looked on their site: 78 quid each. So probably about $350 for a set shipped over to USA.

If you look around a bit you'll find them in the USA.

I bought a set from this fellow last year. Seems to be a bike/carb guy' He says that he checks them over including the float levels before sending them out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Norton-Triumph-BSA-30-or-32mm-Amal-carb-new-set-of-2_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a4Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem3ef500d1a3QQitemZ270398443939QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Super Moderator
13,271 Posts
Kev, I would price Lund's bore, sleeve & slide service, 2 carb kits and a new set of needles & needle jets, VERSUS new Amals.

Since you are already missing parts, you have a cost that must be borne anyway.

The old carbs with a sleeve & slide job, and polished bodies are POSSIBLY better than new ones.

Personally, I ALWAYS overhaul my personal carbs.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kev, I would price Lund's bore, sleeve & slide service, 2 carb kits and a new set of needles & needle jets, VERSUS new Amals.

Since you are already missing parts, you have a cost that must be borne anyway.

The old carbs with a sleeve & slide job, and polished bodies are POSSIBLY better than new ones.

Personally, I ALWAYS overhaul my personal carbs.
Lund is charging $80 a carb. With shipping and all the new parts it will work out the same as buying a set of new ones.

Guess it comes to personal preference: do I want to re-fab and keep the bike original or buy some new ones?
As usaul, no cut and dry answer :confused:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts