Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I mentioned in the Welcome Center I recently bought a 2002 Daytona with 8k miles on it that was stripped down by some mechanics at a shop who are just super and they lost most of the parts. The bike has obviously been laid down at some point. Apparently after he laid it down he decided that it was a Streetfighter and decided to hack his way into the wiring harness and cutoff the factory connectors. Don't worry though he was nice enough to label them in Arabic. Which I don't speak or write. While doing this however he managed to melt some wires, part of the fuse box and fry the distributor. He left it at the shop with two other wiring harnesses that he had picked up that were no where near close to what he needed. One of them is in perfect shape with all the fuses and I am sure it is from a Daytona (don't worry, I'll figure out what year and post them here for some unfortunate soul who needs it). I have some problems though, I downloaded the service manual and got to work. Here are the problems I am facing. I can't find anywhere what vacuum line hooks up to the clutch side of the airbox, I have done a lot of research and I have pretty much mapped out the all of the other hoses. I also got some other parts that I am trying to decide if they actually go to this bike or not. One of them is a Auto voltage regulator (126000-1160) and the other kind of looks like an air injector but I don't see either of them referenced in the manual and there is no part numbers or identifying features on the injector. I know that on some models they come equipped with a secondary air injector but that was not available on this unit. I also do not have a laydown cutoff switch which I am sure didn't come on this unit either. I also have to find some screws and bolts because they lost all of them.I also would like it if someone had a description or a picture of where the rear master brake cylinder goes on that unit because I cannot see any obvious place. I also do not have a rear seat or solo tail and if anyone could point me in the right direction on any of my problems that would be great. I know I had a few more questions but I can't remember them right now so I will post them and the pictures on this thread in the morning. Thanks a lot guys thanks for welcoming me to your community.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
THEROTTINGDOG, The vacuum line on the RHS of the airbox goes to the fuel pressure regulator. The airbox nib was removed on later production airboxes as it isn't needed. You can use a vacuum cap to plug the nib or run a hose to the FPR.

Many, if not most '02 D955i models didn't have the tip-over switch or the Ignition Relay.

Brad

·
Super Moderator
21,954 Posts
Welcome

If you plan to keep it configured as a 'Street Fighter' or naked bike, it might be simplest to pick up a Speed Triple wiring harness, since yours already cannibalized.

Pics of the pieces you have questions on will be helpful in identifying whether they belong or not.

Outside hose nipple on RHS is the Barometric Pressure Sense hose back to the ECM - the small diameter middle one on the right side (if fitted, omitted on later models) would be the FPR hose.

The rear master bolts directly to the right side brake pedal rearset bracket

Use the parts fiche here to help you identify some of the parts
http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_catalogue.php?model_id=9185

(To get the actual OEM part number put item in cart then click on it again in the cart)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Pics of the Daytona and parts.

Here are the pieces that came in the box along with the bike. I just want to make sure that I don't need them. I painted the gas tank and the rear tail section, since that is all that came with the bike. DEcosse, thanks a lot for that info,there is a small hose dangling from the ECM like you said. I also included the nightmare batch of wires near the battery box and a picture of the broken rearset mount.
Well I had to edit out the Image locations because they are not showing up. Does anyone know how I can add photos?

·
Super Moderator
21,954 Posts
You can add them directly to your post - go to 'advanced' (rahter than quick reply); then below the main text editing field, look at the options listed below - see 'Attach Files' - 'manage attachments' and you can upload directly from your PC using that.

Or - host them on Photobucket or similar and link to that

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
see this is exactly what I am talking about, you guys have all been extremely helpful and friendly. Here are the pieces that came in the box along with the bike. I just want to make sure that I don't need them. I painted the gas tank and the rear tail section, since that is all that came with the bike. DEcosse, thanks a lot for that info on the pictures it helped out immensely. I also included the nightmare batch of wires near the battery box where you can see the burned out fuse slot, and a picture of the broken rearset mount.
Auto-Voltage-Reg.jpg

Questionable-Alien-thing.jpg

Triumph-Daytona.jpg

wiring-Harness-Fail.jpg

Broken-Mount.jpg

Body-Work.jpg

·
Super Moderator
21,954 Posts
1 & 2 not from your bike

Major problem with that rear-set mount - going to have to get something welded on there

That tail plastics not for that model - it's off 97-01 model
Subframe is different between the two, not sure which you have, but you would expect the 02+
Also the forward two mounts in the 97-01 tail actually bolt into the 97-01 fuel tank - you have 02+ fuel tank
I'm sure you can make it work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holy crap, DEcosse you just answered a question I came back to ask about. My gas tank will not fit onto this bike properly at all,I figured it was due to the change in the fuel additives causing the gas tank to swell. I know that Ducati had a problem with gas tanks swelling. The idiot who had the bike before me had added those stupid chrome air intake pieces that people put on the sides of their cars like it's gangster. The tail section fits but only because someone has made some modifications to the rear. I just noticed that the rear brake rotor is brand new. I am currently looking for a Fiche-finder so I can get a list of the part numbers to order. I have no idea how you screw a bike up so badly in such a small amount of riding. I also had one more part that I forgot about and wanted to see if it was part of the bike also. Sorry this is coming in pieces but I just keep finding unexplainable things.
mysterious-part.jpg

Mysterious-part-hand.jpg

Tail-Mods.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea best part is that when I was asking about the Fiche-Finder it was open in a new tab already. lol I ended up braking the damn return fuel line installing that gas tank last night. I'm fixing that now. Thank Decosse and Sardinecan for the Fiche link. I was able to write down all the bolt and screw sizes and found all of them at my local ace hardware.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Part of the fuse box that was burned out was the number 2 fuse slot which takes a 30 amp fuse. According to the service manual it is attached directly to the rectifier regulator. But, I am a little confused. the wire connects directly to the fuse but there isn't another wire connected to the fuse on the other side like all the others. In the electrical section of the manual it says ignition switch, but i don't see it connecting to anything. I am going to install a new 30 amp fuse because the old one is toast and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Sardine can, yes I did. I will take a look to see if it is still on the wiring harness. it doesn't look anything like mine though.It is thin and black. I see what you were saying about the bridge across I was able to work the fuse into that line. My battery is on the charger right now so we will see what happens after it charges.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DEcosse, I found another forum thread where you explained to someone about how to remove the quick disconnect fuel fitting on the gas tank. I was wondering if you knew the size of that threaded piece. I have this theory that I can make a permanent fitting for the fuel line on the side. I picked up a 3/4 inch elbow fitting yesterday, it was close no but no cigar. The inside diameter of the fuel hose and connector are 3/4 though. Any help would be awesome as I am almost finished and I got the bike running already.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts