Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm getting my '72 T100R from a friend who is now about 66 or so years old. He has been hobbling around on a bum leg (Navy injury) since the early '70s, and recently he had a minor spill on one of his bikes, re-injuring that same leg. He's decided to liquidate most of his small collection of motorcycles, and he knows that I've been coveting the Daytona since he bought it from the original owner (another friend of mine) in the '90s.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, health does play a major part. the list of people i ride with gets smaller each year.

but was wondering what everyone around the world was also thinking.

I know its on a Triumph site,but was thinking of all biker riders(any models,makes)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GP is there any way to post a poll for all forums to vote on.

only reason is because this forum is mostly based, well on us old men:rolleyes:

might make poll voting lean towards age then the younger man reasons.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
life got in the way . a business , marriage , a kid , mortgage .......

i used to lay in bed at night dreaming about riding my triumph again .

that was 34 years ago , i got back into riding about 4 years ago and in a few months i'll be riding that very same Triumph once again :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
My son who is 34, just sold his '05 Hinckley Bonnie so he could buy a '66 T120. We just picked it up yesterday and he is ecstatic and so am I! It needs work, but it is a numbers matching runner. You don't hear of to many younger guys giving up a modern bike and lusting after a "old one"! He rode behind me when he was old enough to hang on tight on my then new Bonnies and Rocket 3's and Tridents. I'm sure he will be on this site soon, researching and asking questions! He goes by jaxtriumphguy and he did all his on work on his '05. By the way,I'm riding a new Tiger and looking also at a '69! Damn I wish I had kept all my Whitworths!

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
My son who is 34, just sold his '05 Hinckley Bonnie so he could buy a '66 T120. We just picked it up yesterday and he is ecstatic and so am I! It needs work, but it is a numbers matching runner. You don't hear of to many younger guys giving up a modern bike and lusting after a "old one"! He rode behind me when he was old enough to hang on tight on my then new Bonnies and Rocket 3's and Tridents. I'm sure he will be on this site soon, researching and asking questions! He goes by jaxtriumphguy and he did all his on work on his '05. By the way,I'm riding a new Tiger and looking also at a '69! Damn I wish I had kept all my Whitworths!
That's good to hear! I am actually the same age as your son and have always loved British Iron. Back in England (before I came to be) My dad rode around Coventry on a side-valved BSA and later a Matchless G11, so maybe it's in the blood. I was always taken by the majesty of these old bikes, the style, sound and shape. This may sound a bit far out, but I really believe these bikes have souls and stories to tell. That is something I've never found on a bike shrouded with moulded plastic. These poor, broken down beasts (sometimes new and shiny ones) cry out to us for love. There is often a glint in the eye, or a look the former owner has as the bike rolls away, knowing they will likely live to regret clearing out the garage. Family commitments, space, economic downturn are probably big factors. On the upnote, sometimes regret leads a lot of guys back down the road to something they are truly passionate about.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You see a lot of bike's dismantled for one reason or another...Right now the economy is good for old bikes.....You have bikes being sold that normally wouldn't, an at affordable prices....Those buying can still afford to fix them, so their spending doing it....

New bikes are like new boats, and when the "new" wares off, they get parked.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Like Woody said. Marriage, mortage, and kids. Parked the '67 for 31 years. As of last July, back in the saddle again!!! Carl

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Woody summed it up for me pretty much too. I sat here dreaming about my old Trumpys and finally went out and bought a '72 Bonne for my 63rd birthday. I now feel about 20 when I'm out riding. Good therapy. RR

·
Registered
194 Posts
RetoRod, I did the same thing when i was 63....But i knew i wouldn't be happy till i build one from the frame up myself.....I'm keeping the first one as a rider till i finish the second one...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts