Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ride two-up on my Thux pretty often and run into the same issue most others have - with my boots in a normal riding position, my wife's boots hit my heels. She's adapted pretty well and rides with the balls of her feet on the pegs but I'd like to make it a bit better for her. I've checked out the LSL passenger rearset kit, which seems to be the only option. Not sure if pegs are included, but $150 for two small chunks of aluminum seems to be a bit high.

Anyone fabbed their own, keeping the stock passenger pegs? Cutting out the brackets shouldn't be a problem, just haven't unbolted the pegs yet to see if they're "keyed" to the frame to prevent spinning, or if it's just a straight bolt-through. I think adding the brackets would allow increased leverage and chance of rotating the pegs, but might just be overthinking this. :D

As Craig Vetter is fond of saying, I may need to spend some time this winter designing using CAD...cardboard aided design. :)

Thanks...

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
Man, I been using CAD for years. When used with the TLAR* modeling system, you can get real accurate results, down to .1 International Gnat's Ass. I also use a cylindrical wooden representational system which contains a graphite core, but which must periodically be refurbished using a dedicated rotary conical end lathe (or a pocket knife.) Gotta use the correct drawing media, like BC shipping box cardboard, or (unused) airline barfbags.
The rear pegs aren't keyed, and you would have to keep the weight on them from rotating the asembly. I'm figuring a strap of 1/4" ally, maybe 1"x3", hole in each end, one for the peg, one for the mount bolt. I think I'd just drill off center through the strap and into the frame mount, and drive in a couple 3/16" roll pins, which would be covered by the exhaust mount.
Redhawk
* That Looks About Right

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Redhawk, those are some damn fine acronyms...nicely done.

Good idea on the roll pins, although I get hives everytime I think about doing something to the frame. I'm sure there's a cure...like a Unity Equipe brazed cro-moly Featherbed frame. :)

I thought I remember someone getting the LSL kit, although I'll be damned if I can find it in the search now. I'm curious if LSL just crosshatched the back of the bracket and the "fender washer" on the inside and then torqued the living snot out of it. Doesn't look like much but a bracket and a bolt, so trying to figure how they prevent the passenger from levering it down into the exhaust when they climb on.

Jason

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm generally with you on drilling frames, but that piece is an add-on, doesn't carry any riding loads, just the exhaust and footpeg. Doubt that a couple 3/16" drill holes would compromise it much.
Best,
Redhawk

·
Registered
135 Posts

If you add a small tab shown in red about 4 to 5 inches long, 2 bends with a little work. Drill a hole in the flat spot on the backside that was bent around the bolt for the stock foot peg will keep from spinning. If 2 bends are to many you can get away with 1 bend and a tab 2 to 3 inches long.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

If you add a small tab shown in red about 4 to 5 inches long, 2 bends with a little work. Drill a hole in the flat spot on the backside that was bent around the bolt for the stock foot peg will keep from spinning. If 2 bends are to many you can get away with 1 bend and a tab 2 to 3 inches long.

MMelvis, good idea as well - have the bent section snug against the frame to prevent it from moving.

I'll monkey with it a bit this winter and post back up with what I find.

Thanks!

Jason

1 - 6 of 6 Posts