Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i know i keep asking for help, but heck, you guys have helped me out so much. i tried searching, i swear, but couldnt find the answers.

ok, i took out the headlight, put in new bulbs, but i want to take the whole unit off and im not sure how to unplug these:

i didnt want to jam a screwdriver in from the bottom and they arent like the simple plugs on the radiator cowls/ which i got off all good...thanks. its more of an "L" shape down into it.

second, when taking off the rearsets, theres one bolt i didnt know if i have to watch out for/ etc cause it looks linked to the brakes. just unsrew it easy as it maybe looks? any warnings i need before hand? messing with things related to brakes makes me a bit nervous.

·
Registered
26 Posts
that looks hard. i would help if i could but i think i would just break it. actualyy one of my headlights isnt working now that i crashed. i figure ill replace the light and see if it works. the only thing that bugs me and i hope it doesnt turn into a big problem is that the bulb looks great, just like the other one. you tink something could be up or just the bulb needs replacement

·
Registered
231 Posts
The bolt you're looking at is simply holding on your rear brake light switch. It won't affect your actual braking if you put it back together wrong, but you need to make sure your light lights up right away after you put it back as you probably don't want a cager rear ending you.

As for the light, I don't know. I've never been into them, can't help you out there.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
If you want to remove your headlight buckets, you will need to loosen the harness clamp on the head stock and unplug the lights from the harness. The plugs are on the front sides, inside the frame - near the sides of the airbox.

Then pull each light's individual wiring harness through the front of the headlight bucket. Removing the rubber gromet on the back of bucket will help.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I almost destroyed the black plastic bit before I realized how to remove the wires from it. The trick is to stick a small screwdriver between the metal and plastic bit (There's a little slot in the if you look closely. On the other side than in the picture) and twist it so you hear a little snap. Then you can simply pull the wires with the metal connectors out. Don't over do it though so you can get them back on :razz:

And I take no responsibility of what happens when do this. I haven't exactly tried to put them back on yet even myself :-D

[ This message was edited by: premier on 2007-02-26 08:09 ]

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
So you guys are doing black bugeyes?

We need pics. I have thought about this, but could not decide if I should coat only the buckets or the bucket + rim.

·
Registered
629 Posts
On 2007-02-26 08:09, Martin_R wrote:
So you guys are doing black bugeyes?

We need pics. I have thought about this, but could not decide if I should coat only the buckets or the bucket + rim.
Yep. I'll post pics when I get the buckets back. Might take a couple weeks though.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Martin,
Here is the only photo I have of my black headlight buckets - high gloss black powdercoat. It is before I painted the forks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the help. i just want to paint the bug eyes black and the rearsets. the lights worked fine when at first i put in new bulbs, i reattached the battery and checked. but im weary of taking off the tank and airbox to get at the wiring. as for popping out the bits with a screwdriver, it looks like it would work, but like you mentioned premier, you havent tried putting them back on.

it would be so much easier if once you unmounted the light you could just slid out the block of wiring there.

im attacking the rearsets today, the lights im still in the air. maybe a little down the road. by the way, ive been cheap and painting this stuff myself. i figure worst case it chips and i pay someone else. so far so good though.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
On 2007-02-26 09:54, milestogogreg wrote:
im attacking the rearsets today, the lights im still in the air. maybe a little down the road. by the way, ive been cheap and painting this stuff myself. i figure worst case it chips and i pay someone else.
Best get it done right at a powdercoater's the first time, especially considering how cheap it is. If you coat everything with rattlecan ***** first, you'll have to pay for the removal of your attempt too.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Have you ever though about powdercoating it yourself at home?

This unit is $100 ($80 when on sale), but needs compressed air:
Harbor Freight powdercoating unit.

This unit is $150 but does not need compressed air:
Eastwood Powdercoating kit

Add in a few bucks for different powders, wire, and a toaster oven, and you can do a LOT of parts that will fit in the oven.

A few jobs for friends, and the units will pay for themselves.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
toaster oven? heck, i live in AZ. ill look into the units you mentioned, thanks. last time i painted stuff, set it out in the az sun all day and it baked on nicely. no problems yet. i ended up putting the headlight back on. i want it black but im not sure if im ready for taking off the tank and such. slowly but surely im moving along. a month ago i wouldnt have even taken apart the headlight

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Why do you need to take off the tank and airbox to remove the wiring from the headlight buckets? Is it so you avoid taking the wires off the plastic plug? There isn't any problem removing them like Devi and Premier say, just get something thin in there and do it gently. Besides, if you break it, it's probably not a lot to replace.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts