Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have just had too replace rear my rear wheel bearings with 6,000km on the clock, it was at over the speed limit and I was very lucky 2 hours later I was due to going up the mountains!!!
They are not a warranty item.
Is this a problem with older bikes? and do I trust it wont happen again?
Any info much appreciated
Jojo

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I am very surprised that a dealer would not cover that failure under warranty--this failure should NOT happen.

I can't think of anything that could cause such premature bearing failure except lack of lubricant or preload (or too much preload) on a bearing not designed to have preload. If the failed bearings had proper lubrication, I would disassemble the whole thing again and check all the parts against the service manual "Exploded View" to be sure all the parts were assembled correctly at the factory.

Good luck,

·
Registered
39 Posts
Agreed, make sure the spacer is in place between the two bearings, and get them to measure the length of it. The reason bearings aren't covered under warranty is that they don't fail prematurely unless they are mistreated, but in this case if the spacer is missing (you haven't had the tyres changed have you?) or undersize (which as to be Triumphs fault).

·
Registered
80 Posts
The reason bearings aren't covered under warranty is that they don't fail prematurely unless they are mistreated
Even for a generalization, this is pretty stupid. A manufacturer could make that claim about anything. Of course, it's utter nonsense. If this bike was within the warranty period and there were no signs of abuse in the affected area, a letter to Triumph is in order. Incidentally, it only costs $50-100 to file suit in small claims court in many states. Even if you lose, it's well worth the price of admission!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts