Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That's great :)

I guess we can assume it was either the bearing seals settling in or the position of the bearings in the hub settling very slightly. The latter does seem to be a bit of a judgement call in setting the position of the outer race while fitting it up to the hub centre spacer between the two inner races.
IrlMike,

I guess, as I really didn't do anything different the second time around? Nothing seemed amiss when I dismantled it. I really can't believe the bearings can be 'seated' by just tightening up the axle nut, so I'm thinking there was something up between that inner spacer inside the hub, and/or the inner bearing? I'll chalk it up to dumb luck this time, or was that dumb #$! who messed it up the first time (me). J

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Can't wait to see it, I really love what you did with the rear wheel! How much did lacing it to a 6" hoop cost?
Rims are Morad 17x3.5 and 17x5.5 from Central Wheel in UK. I had to take a hit on shipping that far as I could not find a 5.5" rim here. CW powder coated them black before shipping them to me. I then had my hubs powder coated black and shipped both the hubs and rims to Buchanan's in LA to be laced. They did a great job. Lacing both rims with polished stainless steel spokes, set me back almost $700, including shipping. To me, the rims were going to make/break the project, so they were my big ticket item. Reason the project is taking so long, need to spread the costs over several months. Tires are Pirelli Diablo Rosso II 120/70ZR-17 and 180/55ZR-17

I think the more important aspects of the project so far has been learning from everyone on this site. Your $8 exhaust was an amazing find. It got me looking and I found my pipes for under $100. Learning about the ZXR rear shocks and finding one for $24, and the DN-01 3-pot caliper for something like $47. Now looking back on the initial big ticket things, like the rims, makes me glad I could control the costs and continue with the project. Actually, I think someone coined the term 'Frankinbike' for their similar exploits finding things that can be retrofitted to the Triumphs. I like that.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Know what you mean

Snowing outside today. Not likely to get anything done today on the bike. :-(
Down the road from you in Fredericksburg. An inch of sleet on the ground so far, got a fire going in the fireplace and laying up like a fat arse cat. Days like this are great........

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yep. Doing just about the same thing here. Reminds me, need to go out and get some more wood for the wood stove. Good to know there's another Triumph in the 'neighborhood.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts