Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a quick search that did not yield any useful results...

So...anyone know if the 955 S3/Daytona wheels or 1050 Sprint/S3 wheels will fit the rear of my 03 ST? The S3/Daytonas have a 6" wheel for a 190 tire if I am not mistaken, but if it will physically fit, that would be great, as I am running 190s anyway.

Long story short, I found my rear wheel to be a tad loose (flame away! :)) I was just able to move it a few thou rocking back and forth. I snugged it up on the side of the road as best I could, and checked it a few miles down the road, and it was loose again. Upon pulling it apart a few more miles down the road, I found the conical piece that locates the wheel had some galling as did the tapered section on the wheel. I had thoughts of just resurfacing the conical piece, but with the damage to the wheel, I don't think I'll be able to make it seat correctly, and its not something I want to chance.

Also, how much rotational play should their be for the pins that locate the rear wheel? I never paid much attention until I found this issue, but it seems excessive. I will go out and measure the play it has in a bit

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
You got the gist of the wheels. I think there were a few early STs that also had a 6" rim but ran a 180 tire. I think it was because they just had it in stock when they built them. Other than that all the SSSA rear wheels fit. I ran a 1050 rear wheel on my 99 ST, I loved the look but the S3 wheel is so much better looking.

That's rough what happened to your wheel, torque that baby down from now on. I think someone else on here had a similar issue with the pins but I don't recall who or how they fixed it, but they did.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! still not sure what cause it, because I torqued it like I always have...but its no longer servicable IMO, so hopefully I can find a wheel locally

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
huh...vfr wheels too? never looked at one in detail, but IIRC they have 4 "lug nuts" not one big retaining nut...I'd like to keep it triumph to be positive it fits...

but with the prices the ebay fools want for scratched/dented wheels, I might look into Carrozzeria as well

·
Banned
70 Posts
Check craigslist .. I know in portland oregon craigslist there was a guy selling magnesum ducati rims for 800 I would have bought them but I did not have the$ $ at the time yeah the older vfr rims fit I believe as there is a vfr guy in seattle washington that put triumph rims on his vfr. I like the new 1050 rims they will fit but you need some other parts other than just tthe rims

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the rear triumph rims should be a direct swap...and at this point I am not worried about the front and rear matching, I am just trying to get back on two wheels.

All the 1050 rims I am finding are 5.5 wide, whereas mine is 6, and while I do like the 5 spoke design, I want to stay with the 6" rim.

So it looks like I need the rim, conical piece, and drive pins that bolt through the axle flange.

From being loose, the pins are worn down to ~0.360" in the rotational direction while they are 0.375" in the radial direction, and the holes in the rim have been "egged" out, creating about 1/8" of rotational play measured at the hub where the drive pins align.

I am not finding a service limit for these pins, but since they are not round, I am just going to replace them. Anyone ever note the rotational play on one of these?

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Ducati rims fit aswell as vfr rims jus a fyi
Please explain.
Although the Ducati uses the same dowel peg hub fitting, how do you get around the fact that the wheel offset is about 15mm different (and the wheel hub commensurately narrower)?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please explain.
Although the Ducati uses the same dowel peg hub fitting, how do you get around the fact that the wheel offset is about 15mm different (and the wheel hub commensurately narrower)?
Kinda what I was thinking, but kindly ignored

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Kinda what I was thinking, but kindly ignored
Sorry if I didn't know what you were thinking and went ahead and was unkind. But, maybe all is not lost as others may benefit from it.

I'll know in the future to let things alone and rely on your thinking.

·
Banned
70 Posts
Welllll if you go and get some and measure you will find that a 955 rim is the same as a ducati rim of the same era. Brembo made them and ther the same as the gold ones .. as far as the vfr .. there is a guy in seattle that has done a few of them as he is a vfr freak and he has one of his running a edu rim and another one running 1050 rims .. so you don't need to take my word on it im not a pro im just sugesting other options as there are plenty out there .. all you gave to do is go look and do some research ..and rember nothing is imposible ... I would sel you a set of rims that I hav for a 955 but I only have one extra set and there mounted up with my summer tires so you can't have them.......

P.s. nno offence taken .. just use google, bing,yahoo, what ever and go to other forums that are owned by the group that owns this one and read or search :0p

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
xr600, you haven't been here long enough, but there is a rule here and that is if you put something on the table you have to back it up with facts. You just babbled hearsay. It's your job to provide the members with independent verifiable evidence as to what you say is true.

HERE, WE DON"T ALLOW HEARSAY LIKE THIS AS IT COULD END UP COSTING SOMEONE ELSE A LOT OF MONEY OR WORSE.

Post facts so the rest of us can verify.

Don

Welllll if you go and get some and measure you will find that a 955 rim is the same as a ducati rim of the same era. Brembo made them and ther the same as the gold ones .. as far as the vfr .. there is a guy in seattle that has done a few of them as he is a vfr freak and he has one of his running a edu rim and another one running 1050 rims .. so you don't need to take my word on it im not a pro im just sugesting other options as there are plenty out there .. all you gave to do is go look and do some research ..and rember nothing is imposible ... I would sel you a set of rims that I hav for a 955 but I only have one extra set and there mounted up with my summer tires so you can't have them.......

P.s. nno offence taken .. just use google, bing,yahoo, what ever and go to other forums that are owned by the group that owns this one and read or search :0p

·
Registered
486 Posts
I was under that VFR swaps also required a change to the final drive as the VFR uses 4 lug nuts.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry if I didn't know what you were thinking and went ahead and was unkind. But, maybe all is not lost as others may benefit from it.

I'll know in the future to let things alone and rely on your thinking.
Not really what I was getting at. As with everything found on the internet, one must have a filter to seperate the verified facts from the "babbled hearsay" as dolson put it. There are many knowledgeable members in this forum, and anyone that has been here for a minute should be able to decide which information to listen to, and which to dismiss.

My question was in regard to whether or not Triumph changed the hub/rear wheel design over the span of SSSA bikes. I need a replacement rear wheel, and figured if I could broaden my search, I may be able to find something quicker/closer. I do not have any plans on fitting a viffer, duc or VW wheel to my sprint, although I'm sure I could fab something up to make any of them work. Thank you for clarifying this for the benefit of others.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Not really what I was getting at. As with everything found on the internet, one must have a filter to seperate the verified facts from the "babbled hearsay" as dolson put it. There are many knowledgeable members in this forum, and anyone that has been here for a minute should be able to decide which information to listen to, and which to dismiss.
I understand where you are coming from, but not everyone has the experience in the forum to develop their personal filters. That is why we are expected to be able to back up critical statements, mundane stuff excluded.

A suggestion that "Ducati rims fit....." could be interpreted literally by some. Discounting personal filters, and tech knowledge, I thought it fair to ask for more info concerning the major differences. I know what they are and have descriptions and pics of the machining and parts necessary to put a Duc wheel on Triumph SSSA. It is not what could be considered a "swap". Nor is it an easy task, requiring a fair amount of MHs and machine time.

Getting back to your original question, as far as I know, all Triumph SSSA wheels interchange, starting with the Daytona and up to the 2010 ST. There are differences in rim width and cosmetics.

If this is wrong, hopefully someone will correct me......now that I stuck my neck out. ;-)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts