Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Have posted this on the Sprint fourum but thought you guys might not see it.

I have an 04 Sprint ST. Last July while out on a run my back wheel start to vibrate and on inspection I found that the four lugs that are fixed to the brake rota had sheared off so all that was holding the wheel on was the 46mm nut.
The bike had been in the shop a week earlier for a new tyre so I assumed that the mechanic had not placed it on correctly.
Today on the way home from work I noticed a vibration in the wheel and on checking three of the four lugs had sheared off again.
Has anyone experienced this on there machines and if so do you have any suggestions as to the reason why after just six months they should go again.

Be grateful for your help.
regards
Ray

·
Registered
26 Posts
Gotta say Ray,Never had this problem on any of the four Triumphs I have had with a single sided swinger, Sounds to me as if the Rear wheel is not tightened properly, So the wheel is moving round under acceleration and shearing the 4 lugs off:confused:

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
I'd say the bearing might have failed and the problem you have is secondary to that. Triumphs are a bit stingy on the grease at the factory or so I hear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Surely Ray would have noticed the play in the rear bearing while changing the lugs:confused:By the way if anybody has to change a rear bearing,Buy a complete hub bearing assembly as it is only about £20 quid dearer than a bearing kit,and it saves the hassle of pressing in the bearings:thumbsup:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies chaps. Rear bearing seems fine no movement when the wheel is done up and as I say she only passed the MOT about week before this happened.
On taking the wheel off it would seem that the Belleville washer was on the wrong way round. This is the concave washer that sits next to the nut. This it would seem would not put enough pressure on the wheel/nut so I am asuming that is the problem. Will get it sorted and keep an eye on it over the next few weeks.
Ray

·
Registered
412 Posts
Glad to hear that you think you have found the source of the problem Ray. Needless to say but I will anyway, take it easy for a while to give the problem time to show up if its going to again.

Ben

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the problem sorted but it cost me a new wheel (secondhand) at £150.
If any of you have a single sided swing arm make sure the parts are put back together correctly. The fault caused the holes that the lugs recess into to elongate so any lack of pressure on the wheel nut (bellevile washer wrong way) will cause vibration.
Atleast it back on the road now just need to keep an eye on it for a while. Hope this is a fix we are off to Devon with the local RAT pack at Easter and if we miss it the wife will not be to happy.
Ray

1 - 8 of 8 Posts