Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 sprint st. 21000 miles on it. I checked the rear wheel recently and it had a little play in it. Maybe 2mm, but no noise. I read that some say its normal for a little play and some say not. Either way, I'm replacing the bearings as I have already taken everything apart. The needle bearing looked pretty well greased though. Question is, does anyone change the bearing in the Cush drive as well? I ordered it anyway along with the other bearings and seals. Also, how is everyone greasing the needle bearing? By hand just like a tapered bearing? Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
The info in T'Rat.net is not too shabby and awfully hard to beat.

Seems to me that this site ought be the first recommendation considering the time and effort expended by our contributors.

·
Premium Member
24,294 Posts
Maybe Dan, but members like OND have many tech blogs and threads with step by step how to's and photos on this website.

A small number of able tech types have over the years given a considerable amount of their time contributing to Trat in this manner.

Hey DeanRider, don't cry we still love you mate:D

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Maybe Dan, but members like OND have many tech blogs and threads with step by step how to's and photos on this website.

A small number of able tech types have over the years given a considerable amount of their time contributing to Trat in this manner.

Hey DeanRider, don't cry we still love you mate:D
While I do don't want to foul, flame, or upset any hard working member on here, I also give a fair amount of time and technical help on this forum. That said, I am also appreciative of the efforts of other Triumph aficionados across the globe such as Nick of bowl of mice, and give praise where praise is due. We are actually all on the same side: WE LOVE THIS BRAND :)

Here is the main link: http://tiny.cc/othnlw

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
.....That said, I am also appreciative of the efforts of other Triumph aficionados across the globe such as Nick of bowl of mice, and give praise where praise is due. We are actually all on the same side: WE LOVE THIS BRAND :)
Just saying that it seems quite silly to initially traipse through the internet searching for maintenance advice when said advice is in this site.

I did not disparage the Bowl of Mice site, but I have watched it over the years and have an idea of his expertise. It has evolved into a good resource. But, as in all online advice, user beware.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think you guys have miss interpreted what I have said, all due respect to OnD and others on this site which I have mentioned before. I have read many of his techs and would be the first to acknowledge this work.
Thap8riot post number 2 made reference to OnD tech so TRat was mentioned as the first source.
Making reference to other sites where more info can be obtained or compared is not a bad thing, in my life's experience I believe you should always look for more than one view so you can make your own informed decision.
Anyway the reason why I am here is because of the expert knowledge that is on this site, that seems to stand out from other triumph sources on the net.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I have replaced all 3 bearings and the seals. Packed the needle bearing with bel ray waterproof grease. I injected it into the rollers through the small hole in the race, then packed it by hand by placing a small amount in the palm of my hand and scraping the edges into the grease, repeating it until I worked the bearing all the way around. I then packed the needles by repeatedly dipping my finger into the grease and working it into the rollers. I would then put the hub assembly onto the axle and rotate it several times in both directions. Removed axle and repeated the above steps a couple times to ensure it was well packed and evenly distributed. Took it for a ride and all seems good. Question, has anyone experienced a bearing failure after replacement?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have not personally experienced a bearing failure after replacement and have done numerous bearings over the last twenty years or so. I think if they were to fail would be more likely due to incorrect installation, as you would not put the bearing in if there was any signs of faulty manufacture.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts