Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When everyone puts a new rear tire on, do you provide the installer with the sprocket/cush drive assbly too for balancing purposes? If you leave your whole bike, how do you know if they spun it with it or not? I know you are supposed to have the brake disks on so wouldn't it make sense? Anyone?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Personally I don't bother having tyres balanced - never have. I usually fit my own tyres and just line up the balance mark next to the valve stem.

Not saying you shouldn't have them done, but I never have and it's worked for me.

Cheers,

Russ

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
After i got new tires and had that vibe problem, i removed the newly applied weights to see if there was any change. Didn't make a bit of difference even at high speed. I suppose it's good to do, but i doubt it's a big deal, especially considering by the time the tires have a few hundred or thousand miles they're no longer perfectly in balance anyways. I think with todays tire technology and the dot that signifies where the stem should be, balancing isn't near as crucial as it was years ago. Or maybe i'm full of $hite, who knows. :-D

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
You have to be kidding-I used to balance my own tires and the amount of weight added to get them balanced was sometimes incredible. The tires aren't the only thing you balance-the wheels can be off a lot -I would have them balanced by a good shop or do it myself. I bought a balancer deal with a wire that hangs the whole assembly from a home made stand. Problem nowdays is the wheels and tires are too darn wide to do this .We have a "Cycle Gear" shop here that does a good job of mounting and balancing tires for reasonable prices if you buy the tires there. I would advise never running fast on a bike
without a good balance job on the wheels and tires. You re asking for trouble if you do.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I'm also a believer in a good tire balance job. I dismount my wheels and drive them to a small independent shop where they mount my tires, then spin balance them. Sometimes it only requires one or two weights to balance a tire, other times several more.

Bob

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys, I wasn't looking for a debate on balancing. I believe they SHOULD be balanced. What I am asking is if, when balancing the rear wheel; Do you spin the sprocket assbly with the wheel (the removable part)?

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Ahhhh .... that's what I thought you asked. I initially took my rear hub and sprocket to the shop, thinking they needed it to balance the rear wheel. Their answer: "No - we don't need your sprocket and cush drive to spin balance your rear wheel". They've done my W650 for years, same deal.

(Note - we are easily distracted - thanks for reminding us you had asked a totally different question)

Bob

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think you will find that the nearer the center of the wheel the less it will effect any imbalance will make. Whereas the outer circumference is more affected due to higher centripetal force.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.