Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daytonas, except 02 models with twin sided swingarm, which have a 17"x5.5" rear wheel, have a 17" x 6" wheel for 190/50% rear tyres.
I have read in some past posts of people using 180/55% tyres for better turn-in handling with the 6" rim wheel.
Recent posts report a 190/55% rear tyre.
Since it is time to change my rear tyre, I have the following questions:
180/55% really improves the handling and how it looks in the larger wheel rim?
What about the 190/55%? They will reduce the clearance to the fender by almost 1 cm. Is there any whorty handling or acceleration gains?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Daytonas, except 02 models with twin sided swingarm, which have a 17"x5.5" rear wheel, have a 17" x 6" wheel for 190/50% rear tyres.
I have read in some past posts of people using 180/55% tyres for better turn-in handling with the 6" rim wheel.
Recent posts report a 190/55% rear tyre.
Since it is time to change my rear tyre, I have the following questions:
180/55% really improves the handling and how it looks in the larger wheel rim?
What about the 190/55%? They will reduce the clearance to the fender by almost 1 cm. Is there any whorty handling or acceleration gains?
If the original is 190/50 - just keep it. The 180/55 on the 6" was popular a few years back. but then the profile of newer tires changed for better turn in. So no real need for it now. Look at the profile of the pilot power. So keep the original size.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Agreed...keep the rear tire size. I'm running a 190/50 on the street and a 190/55 on the track. The 190/55 does give a better turn in...but I'm also using much different tires too. The 190/50 handles perfectly for any form of street riding.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm getting a new rear first thing in the morning, but I can't confirm which tire came stock on the 2003 955i SSSA, it has a Pilot Power 180/55 which feels perfectly fine, but I want to replace with whichever tire came stock on the bike. Dealer said they came with 180/55, a lot of internet sites state 190/50? Talk about confusing.

If I do go up to a 190, I would put a 190/55 Pilot Power 2CT, many have said PP and 2CT's are basically the same tire with dual compounds but, they also have very different profiles, the 2CT's are meant to offer better stick and more lean angle, great for the occasional track day

Some one above stated that would help the speed-o issue which is great but I thought all of the speed o stuff was measured by way of the front tire.

Thanks for the help,

Michael

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm getting a new rear first thing in the morning, but I can't confirm which tire came stock on the 2003 955i SSSA, it has a Pilot Power 180/55 which feels perfectly fine, but I want to replace with whichever tire came stock on the bike. Dealer said they came with 180/55, a lot of internet sites state 190/50? Talk about confusing.

If I do go up to a 190, I would put a 190/55 Pilot Power 2CT, many have said PP and 2CT's are basically the same tire with dual compounds but, they also have very different profiles, the 2CT's are meant to offer better stick and more lean angle, great for the occasional track day

Some one above stated that would help the speed-o issue which is great but I thought all of the speed o stuff was measured by way of the front tire.

Thanks for the help,

Michael
03 SSSA came 190/50/17. you can check the original showroom brochure I gave you or here.

Specs of the DSSA are here.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just checked the brochure does state 190/50 rear. Not sure why the dealership stated the stock size is 180/55.

I must say, really liked the 180/55 it feels nice and flickable, hope I'm not making a $200 mistake, but I feel more comfortable going with the 190 since that seems to be the stock rear size.

Thanks!

Michael

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just checked the brochure does state 190/50 rear. Not sure why the dealership stated the stock size is 180/55.

I must say, really liked the 180/55 it feels nice and flickable, hope I'm not making a $200 mistake, but I feel more comfortable going with the 190 since that seems to be the stock rear size.

Thanks!

Michael
The dealership is probably confusing with the DSSA. The wheel on the SSSA is the same 17x6 used on all SSSA Triumph Speed Triples(older version), Sprint STs (older version) and T595/955s. The DSSA is 17x5.5

1 - 8 of 8 Posts