Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i have just bought a 1 year old triple, looking at the rear tyre tonight i am unsure if it needs replacing, the bike has only covered 2700 miles but the centre of the tyre has little or no tread, the one thing i have noticed it that the tread does not seem to cut into the centre of the tyre,their is plenty on the sides but the middle line looks smooth,

i am new to this sort of bike so am unsure what is right or wrong, i would not have thought they would have gone through a tyre in 2700 miles?

also the tyre is a dunlop D209 i think,

below are the rear tyre pics, plenty of depth on the sides but in the centre is seems nothing,

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Looks OK, just gauging from the pictures. That's all the tread pattern there is on these. The center strip of the tire doesn't look to be worn flat yet, either, so that's a good thing.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im used to looking at tyres with a bit more meat on them if you know what i mean:D, thanks for that, just found out the battery is weak, its been sitting for a few weeks before i bought it and it has the alarm fitted, it had a full charge last night, but my oxford charger is only showing 12,7v and its giving the week warning, :mad:

·
Registered
210 Posts
+1 on what the other guys said.

Here's an interesting tidbit about our Quals - ever note that the tread on the front tire goes from outside to in w/ forward rotation, but on the rear it goes inside to outer lip. First thing I noted when I first saw my bike. I thought the front was on backwards as car tire tread is typiclly designed to transfer water from center outward as the Qual rear does. Even the mechanic at the shop admitted that he had never noted that when I spotted it at delivery time. The rotation arrows indicate that this is just how they are supposed to be and seems to work fine in the rain. One of life's greater mysteries - :D.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you look in the tread pattern, you will see the wear indicators. When your tire wears down close to or or to them you have reached the safe limits of your tire wear. If you look at your top picture you can see in the botton of the tread pattern the wear indicator. Looks to me like you have quite a bit of tire left to use.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would replace it soon, I got just about 3k miles from my first rear qualifier.Not worth having a blow out trying to use the last 2mm of tread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts