Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had more life on my (original) rear tire, but just found the cord is showing in the center (about a foot long strip half an inch wide). Obviously I need tires ASAP. Here are my (total newb, sorry) questions:

1. Is it safe to ride 50 miles to the nearest dealer with the cord showing like that?
2. If not, suppose I bring the rear wheel to the dealer and get a new rear tire... Will it mess up the ABS or anything else riding for a short while with a brand new rear tire, but worn out front tire? (I don't have a way of lifting the front, so I'd still have to ride to the dealer to get the front tire done.)
3. Any tire recommendations for a 2019 Speed Triple S?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
742 Posts
1. It's a (bit of a) gamble but I'd give it a shot.
2. No, having a new tyre on one end and a part worn one on the other won't mess with the ABS.
3. That's a whole separate discussion. If you've been happy with the original tyre stay with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I ended up pulling the rear wheel off and driving it to the dealer. I ended up getting Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3 tires. I haven't put many miles on them yet (or pushed them in corners) but so far they seem great!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd pull the wheel and mount the tire with a set of hand spoons before I rode with cords showing. have you ever pulled one of those tires and seen how thin it is at that point? It's scary!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts