Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious where everyone has their T-Bird's rear suspension set (1-5)?

I rode my new purchase home from the dealership last weekend (210 miles) solo and it was set at 1, and through the hills and winding roads of SW/W Iowa it felt really nice. I have yet to have my bride ride with me, but on a whim I changed the setting to 3 and went for a 40 mile jaunt this evening and it felt far more stiff, almost uncomfortable. True, the bike is still very new to me and perhaps I just need to learn it more and maybe the bike needs to "break in" a bit, but 3 seemed quite a bit different than 1.

I'm 6' 1" and 250 lbs, my bride is 5' 11" and 170-ish, am I going to need to put it at 3, 4, or 5? I much prefer a smoother ride and if I can get by at 1-2 and not 4-5 to keep a smoother ride I'd like to. I know what the manual says, but I like to hear it from the experienced more so. :D

Thoughts???

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'm 5' 11", and I weigh roughly 205 lbs. I keep mine set on 3 for solo riding. I've found that on setting 1 there is too much rebound on uneven roads. Setting 3 keeps me from getting bounced off the seat, and I don't find it to be too stiff at all.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'll be interested to hear experiences on this as well. I picked mine up just a couple weeks ago and it's still on the usual "1." But since my daughter (85 lbs.) and my wife (130 lbs.) periodically ride with me, I'd like to have a setting that comfortably handles both my 190 lbs as well as the combined two-up poundage, which ranges from, what, 275 to 320...so from 190 to 275 to 320. But I'd like to just find a setting that works for all and just keep it there. I'm thinking maybe "2" would work...? Since most of my riding is solo, I don't want to go "3" and have it too stiff. I'm looking for a happy medium, I guess.

Or maybe what I want isn't feasible, and I just need to deal with it and hike up the shocks when I have a passenger.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Solo I'm at 1 just as I bought it. I'm 6'3" 240 lbs and 1 is soft but not too soft. My wife is 130 lbs and 3 is perfect for both of us. I've event deliberately not turn it back down to 1 just to see and the ride is firm to stiff and is not for me. Back at one for the solo rides.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to say the more I ride it the more I am warming up to the 3 setting for solo. Over the road I dont notice it at all, the ride is smooth. When I go over a dip or sizable depression in the road I notice more "launch" when it is on 1 and when on 3 I dont have to prepare myself so much for countering it, if you will.

I'm thinking 3 will be it, we'll see once I get my bride on the rear seat how it handles then. I'm guessing it will do just fine.

As with many things... Grandfather Time sorts it all out for us. :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I do 2 for solo riding and when I bring my wife along (195 for me, 120 for her). It seems to be fine.
That's good to know 2 seems to work for both. I took my daughter out a couple days ago and 1 did seem too soft...it felt heavy and a bit draggy. Guess I'm just too lazy to have to have worry about always changing it. I'll give 2 a shot for both.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have to say the more I ride it the more I am warming up to the 3 setting for solo. Over the road I dont notice it at all, the ride is smooth. When I go over a dip or sizable depression in the road I notice more "launch" when it is on 1 and when on 3 I dont have to prepare myself so much for countering it, if you will.
The word "launch" is a perfect way to describe it. There is a road I regularly travel on, and it is very uncomfortable for me on setting 1 for this very reason. I had to constantly brace myself for each upcoming bump or dip. Going to setting 3 alleviated this without making the ride feel stiff, and I've found that in general the bike handles better.

Why is it that no one uses 2?
To be honest I never tried 2. I went from 1 right to 3. The reason being is that the first time I messed with the setting was a day last year that I took my brother out riding. With another full size man as a passenger I figured I'd better go at least two steps. After riding with him that afternoon I decided that position 3 was not quite enough for the two of us, and maybe 4 would be even better. So with 3 being a little weak for the two of us there is no way that 2 would work. So maybe 2 would be just fine for me for solo riding, but 3 is also just fine, or even perfect, and is a better setting than 2 for taking a passenger...at least for me anyway.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The word "launch" is a perfect way to describe it. There is a road I regularly travel on, and it is very uncomfortable for me on setting 1 for this very reason. I had to constantly brace myself for each upcoming bump or dip. Going to setting 3 alleviated this without making the ride feel stiff, and I've found that in general the bike handles better.

To be honest I never tried 2. I went from 1 right to 3. The reason being is that the first time I messed with the setting was a day last year that I took my brother out riding. With another full size man as a passenger I figured I'd better go at least two steps. After riding with him that afternoon I decided that position 3 was not quite enough for the two of us, and maybe 4 would be even better. So with 3 being a little weak for the two of us there is no way that 2 would work. So maybe 2 would be just fine for me for solo riding, but 3 is also just fine, or even perfect, and is a better setting than 2 for taking a passenger...at least for me anyway.
Well with all of this feedback I think I give 2 a try first, since I ride solo only on my Storm.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
684 Posts
Well with all of this feedback I think I give 2 a try first, since I ride solo only on my Storm.
If you only ride solo then absolutely try 2 for a while, and see how that is. If you find it isn't enough then you can always go to 3 later, but it makes sense to go one step at a time, until you find what works best.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you only ride solo then absolutely try 2 for a while, and see how that is. If you find it isn't enough then you can always go to 3 later, but it makes sense to go one step at a time, until you find what works best.
Good thinking, Lantesh. I just set them on 2. Now I need to wait until Tuesday for all of this rain to clear out before I give it a try.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 16 of 16 Posts