Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to install Bonnie length shocks on my thruxton – Haynes manual says, remove one shock at a time and to remove both of them use auxiliary stand that does not take any weight through the rear suspension – so that means I shouldn’t use a swingarm stand – true ? false ?

What stand works best if I need to remove both the rear suspension at the same time ? correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that since bonnie shocks are shorter than stock, I will have to remove both the shocks so that bike leveled [widthwise].

thanks
D

·
Registered
98 Posts
That would be a big NO on the swingarm stand.

You want to remove the compression on the springs so they don't pop off when you remove the bolt (busted knuckles at a minimum), and if you go the swing arm stand route once you remove the second shock the rear wheel will collapse into the bottom of the fender. Resulting in the whole bike to probably falling over...

Center stand, bike lift of some type, or one at a time while lifting some pressure off the spring are probably the safest bets...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Be warned - bonnie shocks on Thrux - you will change the dynamics of the bike as the bonnie ones are an inch shorter. Threads on this to look out for. You would need to lower the front end or adapt to the changed handling. Anyway, why put bonnie shocks on when there are much much better shocks available, namely Ikons, the ones designed for the Thrux.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Be warned - bonnie shocks on Thrux - you will change the dynamics of the bike as the bonnie ones are an inch shorter. Threads on this to look out for. You would need to lower the front end or adapt to the changed handling. Anyway, why put bonnie shocks on when there are much much better shocks available, namely Ikons, the ones designed for the Thrux.
I am going to put Bonnie length Icon shocks. I don't want to lower the front without knowing, how much it affects the geometry because I have heard pros & cos of both ways.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am having a real tough time removing pessenger footpegs [because of very tight working space], so I think I am going to remove the rear suspension without removing exhaust pipes.

I just have to make sure I tighten the bolts enough since I won't be able to use a torque wrench. Hopefully using some thread locking compound should be enough - what say ?

Recommended torque setting is 28Nm, which I think I should be able to reach [hope so] :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just changed my rear suspension without having to take off the pipes. It was easy and I did it while the bike was on its sidestand.
did you install bonnie length shocks ? if yes could you briefly tell me, how you did it ? appreciate your help - thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
did you install bonnie length shocks ? if yes could you briefly tell me, how you did it ? appreciate your help - thanks
No, sorry they were Thruxton length Ikon 7614's. It probably helped that I have a fender eliminiator installed.

Not that it helps, but this is how I did it:

1. Loosen right-hand rear turn signal so that it hangs down from its wire. This made room for the shock to rotate down so I could pull it out without having to remove the silencer.
2. Removed stock right-hand side shock.
3. Installed Ikon right-hand side shock
4. Tightened turn signal back into place.

Repeated same steps on left-side.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am wondering if I can use the same method. My only concern is that since i will be lowering the bike by 1”, when I remove the right hand side shock and install bonnie length – I don’t know what that unevenness would do to the bike before I replace the left shock and put bonnie length shock there … if I have a bonnie length shock on the right handside and no shock on the left [& if bike is still on side stand] would bike lean a lot more towards the stand or fall over ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts