Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed race tech springs, but for some reason my rear shock is like a pogo. Any bump, and it constantly throws me off the seat. I cant really ride it like this. I need to fix it.

The suspension comes up too fast, i got the rebound set to the hardest, and then moved it to the lowest, and the hardest is better. Except it needs to be harder. It comes up way too fast and really throws me off. Is there something I am missing?

·
Registered
278 Posts
you need to get a softer spring per your weight and riding style.

and check the preload, i forgot.

[ This message was edited by: ssregal39 on 2006-12-09 19:34 ]

·
Registered
403 Posts
sounds to me like you're running too soft of a spring... What spring rate did you go with? I'm not sure what the stock spring rate is on a S3. Also, a revalve will help alot with new springs.... if you went with stiffer springs you'd want to have smaller 'ports' in your valves so to speak to fight against the extra spring strength and keep it under control.

Havign a suspension that is setup correctly for your weight and riding style is worth more in terms of performance than any power mod you could ever do.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I don't know what you did, but if your bike doesn't handle good with the settings in the middle of the adjustment, then you have a problem. Have you set the Static Sag? Rider Sag? If not, do a Google search and set the sag before you go any farther. Or spend a few more bucks and get an Ohlins, etc.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
how much do you weigh?
you sound light.

the S3 is tight from the show room floor, and judging from some, it might need to be dropped slightly in the front as well.

proper sag is everything!!!!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Hi

I've had a similar problem -- my kidney's have taken a pounding on some of our poorly maintained South African freeways. I have recently set the suspension settings as per www.Sportsrider.com recommendations. The bike seems to be better:

Front Preload: 2 lines showing
Front Rebound: 1.5 turns out
Front Compression: 1.75 turns out
Rear Preload: 5 mm thread showing (Standard = 6 mm)
Rear Rebound: 1.5 turns out
Rear Compression: 2 turn out

Would like to have comments and any alternatives?

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you installed a stiffer spring you will need to re-valve your shock to match or it will not be able to control the spring.

The spring is there to support the bike and rider, the shock is there to control the spring. Just like when the shocks go out on your car you can bounce it all over the place, or when the little ricers put lower, stiffer springs on their little cars, but can't afford the good Koni shocks to go with them. Their cars bounce around uncontrollably over bumps.

RaceTech can and will help you with getting your shock re-valved.

You'll be happy then!

[ This message was edited by: vclune on 2006-12-10 13:47 ]

·
Registered
491 Posts
Roadkill did you change the rear spring or just the front?

Could be that your shock absorber is just plain worn out and has lost all damping. Any good suspension place can service it and you can have it resprung and revalved at the same time.

·
Registered
919 Posts
On 2006-12-09 17:32, roadkill wrote:
I installed race tech springs, but for some reason my rear shock is like a pogo. Any bump, and it constantly throws me off the seat. I cant really ride it like this. I need to fix it.

The suspension comes up too fast, i got the rebound set to the hardest, and then moved it to the lowest, and the hardest is better. Except it needs to be harder. It comes up way too fast and really throws me off. Is there something I am missing?
Definately under damped. Either you got too stiff a spring or your shock needs to be rebuilt or replaced since you can't get enough rebound cranked all the way up.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got a lighter spring from race tech. I also did the front, but the front seems pretty good.

The spring is for a 165-170 pound rider. I weight 166.

WHen I had the spring installed, I had the gas recharged and all, and new oil put in. I don't know what else to do. But the stock spring seemed better than this one! So Im bidding on a ebay stock shock with everything on it.

Its really annoying being catapulted out of seat everywhere, you can't gas it in corners for the fear of being highsided :(

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Save your pennies and get an Ohlins with the correct spring rate for your weight. I have the Ohlins and Race Tech springs, and my bike handles great!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
My opinion (backed-up by my kidneys) is that the original shock is a budget Showa/Triumph cheapy and should be replaced by a any decent after-market item...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Well maybe when the shock rebuild was done they didn't put enough gas in, or enough oil, or maybe they put a seal in bad and the gas has escaped.

Have you set sag on the rear, as said above?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
You need to soften your compression and soften your rebound. When you hit a bump, the compression absorbs the shock, and the rebound determines how quickly the shock extends back out.

Soft compression = more shock travel when you go over bumps (softer damping)

Hard compression = less shock travel, but stiffer/better handling for smooth roads and resistance to brake dive when you're hard on the brakes.

Soft rebound = slow smooth damping after each bump (as long as you don't go too soft) and makes the ride better.

Hard rebound = faster shock extension and can give a pogo-stick feel.

Preload is more about initial travel distance and setting up the shock/fork for the weight being loaded onto it. This is why you should always get a spring that is set up for your weight and make sure you've got the right amount of fluid in your forks.

Good luck with tweaking your suspension. Its a true art to get it all dialed in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts