Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Bonnie A-1. 1968 T120R
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shop manual states that when removing the sprocket, to "note which way around it is fitted". I now notice that in each of the five positions it can be placed on the studs, the teeth are at differing positions.
How important is this? How, now that I don't know how the original was fitted, can I ascertain the correct "way around"?
Help!
-Sparky

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I am thinking that the manual is speaking about putting the same [old] sprocket back on - perhaps since it would be worn in from use. But it seems you are fitting a new one - and with a new chain perhaps. If the sprocket is not marked anyway, such as inside or outside, I'd just put it on...and zoom away!:)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I am thinking that the manual is speaking about putting the same [old] sprocket back on - perhaps since it would be worn in from use. But it seems you are fitting a new one - and with a new chain perhaps. If the sprocket is not marked anyway, such as inside or outside, I'd just put it on...and zoom away!:)
+1 ,I would do the same, have put 2 rear sprockets on with no probs.

Plasma.

·
Premium Member
2009 Bonnie A-1. 1968 T120R
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. I think I tend to over think and obsess. I think I'll finish up and zoom away!:)
A big thanks to all who have helped me with your helpful and friendly expertise .
-Sparky

·
Registered
139 Posts
The sprockets arent synchronised as in an engine , so the teeth position related to the wheel is irrelevant

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I installed new sprockets and new chain Mon-Tues of this week. I had the shop cut the chain to proper length, and as I was leaving with my parts, I looked at the new sprocket and asked which side should be to the outside. Both long time mechanics said 'side stamped with the name and size of the sprocket should go to the outside'. It may make not a nickel's worth of difference in the grand scheme of things.

Bob

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Easy life

I installed new sprockets and new chain Mon-Tues of this week. I had the shop cut the chain to proper length, and as I was leaving with my parts, I looked at the new sprocket and asked which side should be to the outside. Both long time mechanics said 'side stamped with the name and size of the sprocket should go to the outside'. It may make not a nickel's worth of difference in the grand scheme of things.

Bob
I think this is so that if you want to replace you can see how many teeth etc it has. It is a pain trying to count to ? on your Knees.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts

Bob
that makes sense, especially if you purchased a rear sprocket like the one I recently did

bought a new set of Jomthai Asahi sprockets and a DID chain as figured its about time I replace the oem set still in use

have noticed that the rear sprocket has a shallow counterbore on one side measuring 7 1/2" diameter x 3/16" deep, presumably to save weight, whereas the oem sprocket is machined out of flat plate, ie no counterbore.

at first, wasnt sure which side to fit the new one on to the wheel.
but, obviously if the counterbore side is against the hub, then the chain would be offset by 3/16", so it must go with the counterbore facing outside.

have noticed that the counterbore has the teeth number and brand stamped on this side as well which confirms the above theory

BTW, still havent fitted them yet. been too buzy doing other things. maybe this weekend

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
have noticed that the rear sprocket has a shallow counterbore on one side measuring 7 1/2" diameter x 3/16" deep, presumably to save weight, whereas the oem sprocket is machined out of flat plate, ie no counterbore.
You noticed what I noticed when I examined my aftermarket sprocket ..... the counterbore on one side. That's when I went back in the shop and asked.

Bob

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
You noticed what I noticed when I examined my aftermarket sprocket ..... the counterbore on one side. That's when I went back in the shop and asked.

Bob
Timely post - I'm getting ready to install my new JT sprockets today and was just getting ready to ask the same question. :D

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well, I guess that blows away the old myth of turning the sprocket over to use the unworn portion of the teeth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts