Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1001 - 1010 of 1010 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thanks man, you're definitely the guy to ask then, I doubt anyone else has tried so many different shocks on the same machine.

Have you done any off roading with the ikon shocks? How about long distance on the highway and twisty canyon roads? How would you rate them on a scale of 1-10 for those categories? If they only bottom out on big potholes are they stiff on smaller bumps or do they just kind of glide? How much do you weigh (if you dont mind my asking)
Just to clarify I changed out the Bitubo's as I wanted to try the Bonneville ride height hence going from Bitubo's to shorter stock T100 shocks. Not wanting to invest loads of money if I didn't like the new 340mm shock ride height - I tried some T100 new take offs. I loved the ride height, hated the shocks, so didn't go back to the 360mm Bitubo's.

I only ride roads - no off road stuff so can't comment on that. The Ikons have progressive springs and feel very balanced over smaller bumps but not the same as a very soft shock. I do lots of English A and B roads which can be very twisty and these shocks work just great giving a lot of confidence in bends. I would rate these shocks very highly say 9 out of 10.

Also, worth pointing out that I changed my front springs out to full length progressive springs (not the short stock length ones) just as I decided to bite the bullet and change the ride height. Not a good idea only ever make one change at a time. Basically my front end was terrible with both the T100 stock shocks and the YSS and I almost went back to the stock set-up to try and get the rear right, I couldn't go back to the Bitubo's as I had already sold them! But as soon as the Ikons went on the front end became just as good as the rear and I haven't touched it since.......

I weigh in at 12 1/2 Stone straight out of the bath :eek: which was on the high side for the lighter Ikon springs but in reality if anything I could be a fair bit heavier and still be OK using them. I had to special order the lighter spring model as it seems not many people ask for them, as I've said before I think most manufacturers recommend too firmer springs for our bikes. This may well be as @lambroving stated they haven't ever tested them out on a real bike.

I hope this helps you out, but remember it's only my experience and those variables come into play all the time. I didn't like the YSS's at all but as others have said they get good reviews, I've also used Hagons on 2 other bikes and really hate them as I find they are way over sprung - but loads of guys love them so what do I know?

·
Registered
254 Posts
So... What's the consensus guys? it's been 13 years since this thread started, has anyone tried YSS shocks on a scrambler? How about Tec or Hagons? Which shocks should I look at for a smooth ride on the street/highway and durability for light off road?
Tried TEC shocks for two summers, they were a tiny bit better than stock but I wish I had saved the $200 I paid for them and put it towards the Ikon 7610 I have on my bike now. The TEC shocks now sit on my garage shelf, if anybody wants them I will let them go really cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tried TEC shocks for two summers, they were a tiny bit better than stock but I wish I had saved the $200 I paid for them and put it towards the Ikon 7610 I have on my bike now. The TEC shocks now sit on my garage shelf, if anybody wants them I will let them go really cheap.
Did you have them properly adjusted for your weight and riding style? What made the hagons better? Did the tec shocks wallow in turns or bottom out frequently?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Did you have them properly adjusted for your weight and riding style? What made the hagons better? Did the tec shocks wallow in turns or bottom out frequently?
They only have spring preload adjustment. I set the sag but they would bottom out and I could feel that they had little rebound damping. I had to watch as the sharp edges holes and certain types of dips would bottom them out easily. I put on Ikons, set the sag and noticed immediate improvement in the quality of ride. The Ikons do not bottom out unless I hit a really hard bump and the rebound has four settings. I have them set at two which gives a good feel at normal speeds

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just to clarify I changed out the Bitubo's as I wanted to try the Bonneville ride height hence going from Bitubo's to shorter stock T100 shocks. Not wanting to invest loads of money if I didn't like the new 340mm shock ride height - I tried some T100 new take offs. I loved the ride height, hated the shocks, so didn't go back to the 360mm Bitubo's.

I only ride roads - no off road stuff so can't comment on that. The Ikons have progressive springs and feel very balanced over smaller bumps but not the same as a very soft shock. I do lots of English A and B roads which can be very twisty and these shocks work just great giving a lot of confidence in bends. I would rate these shocks very highly say 9 out of 10.

Also, worth pointing out that I changed my front springs out to full length progressive springs (not the short stock length ones) just as I decided to bite the bullet and change the ride height. Not a good idea only ever make one change at a time. Basically my front end was terrible with both the T100 stock shocks and the YSS and I almost went back to the stock set-up to try and get the rear right, I couldn't go back to the Bitubo's as I had already sold them! But as soon as the Ikons went on the front end became just as good as the rear and I haven't touched it since.......

I weigh in at 12 1/2 Stone straight out of the bath :eek: which was on the high side for the lighter Ikon springs but in reality if anything I could be a fair bit heavier and still be OK using them. I had to special order the lighter spring model as it seems not many people ask for them, as I've said before I think most manufacturers recommend too firmer springs for our bikes. This may well be as @lambroving stated they haven't ever tested them out on a real bike.

I hope this helps you out, but remember it's only my experience and those variables come into play all the time. I didn't like the YSS's at all but as others have said they get good reviews, I've also used Hagons on 2 other bikes and really hate them as I find they are way over sprung - but loads of guys love them so what do I know?
Here I thought my mag wheel Ikon 7610s were ‘budget’ and so I’ve been lusting to replace them with chrome thruxton length Bitubos. Great to hear you thought the Ikons were better. I think I’ll just stick with the Ikons, though I would love to pop the rear a little higher with a pair of 360 mm in chrome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
518 Posts
Here I thought my mag wheel Ikon 7610s were ‘budget’ and so I’ve been lusting to replace them with chrome thruxton length Bitubos. Great to hear you thought the Ikons were better. I think I’ll just stick with the Ikons, though I would love to pop the rear a little higher with a pair of 360 mm in chrome!

You're correct the Ikon's do have that budget type look, this is why I only gave them a 9/10 earlier. It looks like a lot of money for something that doesn't look that impressive, until you ride on them that is!

In fact my stock take off T100 shocks, black springs and chrome cap removed were far better in the looks department.

Just to confirm I would have been happy to keep the Bitubos but I wanted to lower my bike from 360mm to 340mm, they are a nice shock though and some of them look great.......

·
Registered
6,005 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi has anyone used these TEC rear shocks ? are they any good ? good price and youd hope better than stock ? at least in as much as theyre very adjustable

·
Registered
244 Posts
hi has anyone used these TEC rear shocks ? are they any good ? good price and youd hope better than stock ? at least in as much as theyre very adjustable

Hi

I use them and they are much better then stock. They are what they are frankly, it depends on what you want to spend. If they fail I’ll be sticking Hagons on but at the moment and, after a few thousand miles, they are really good. I have TEC progressive springs at the front with clean out and fresh oil and the all around ride is night and day to the old shocks, springs and watery oil set up. Mind you, I’m in decent shape and average size, so I guess the springs are set for my average weight (might be worth considering).

Hope this helps,
Chris

1001 - 1010 of 1010 Posts