Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

981 - 1000 of 1010 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
I had the Tec suspensions on my Scrambler 865 and I have to say they absorbed bumps on the road much better than the 2 sets of Ohlins I tried on that same bike or the Ohlins on my Scrambler XE. Higher quality components doesn't always mean better in every way unfortunately...I've yet to try an Ohlins equipped bike that didn't feel like it was setup for a track day. Even after going through multiple suspension shops, always harsh as heck. No more Ohlins for me.

·
Registered
876 Posts
How do you know?
I've gone through 2 pairs of Ohlins on previous bike and even my Triumph 1200XE because of the Ohlins suspensions. They are just not compatible with rough roads. I've yet to find a bike equipped with Ohlins that offered a decent ride on rough roads. They are best kept for track use or absolutely perfect roads.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Ohlins have to be designed for the bike, not just some generic Ohlins which will bolt up. The cheap Ohlins for my 796 was made for that chassis/fork combo and 1100 EVO as well. It's not harsh. Cost ~ $650 and is 90% of ideal. A $1,800 Ohlins 3-way adjustable with remote is nirvana if you're fat on cash. Note that some of the Ducati superbikes and Multistradas both handle well and are plush due to speed-sensitive damping. Assume the Triumph Classics line was not worth Ohlin's time/investment due to low interest...

·
Registered
876 Posts
Ohlins have to be designed for the bike, not just some generic Ohlins which will bolt up. The cheap Ohlins for my 796 was made for that chassis/fork combo and 1100 EVO as well. It's not harsh. Cost ~ $650 and is 90% of ideal. A $1,800 Ohlins 3-way adjustable with remote is nirvana if you're fat on cash. Note that some of the Ducati superbikes and Multistradas both handle well and are plush due to speed-sensitive damping. Assume the Triumph Classics line was not worth Ohlin's time/investment due to low interest...
The Ohlins on my 1200XE were terrible stock and even after having them resprung and revalved they had improved, but still by no means a comfortable ride....and thats on a naked adventure bike...

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
^^^
Ohlins didn't design the shock on your bike FOR your bike.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My 2 cents worth. I avoided bumpy roads when I had the stock shocks on mine. My back couldn't handle the jars each time they bottomed out. I got the Hagons and it was like night and day. You get a little air and the bike lands softly and plants itself back on the road. Perfect twisty surfaces are nice, but there are very few of them left that don'y have low speed limits to break. The bumpy roads are less traveled and less patrolled by the cops.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
So I need to find better suited shocks for my bike
As you're in Australia, consider giving Ikon a bell. The pair they made to my weight, bike and riding style are controlled and comfortable and show no weakness unless pressed hard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So... What's the consensus guys? it's been 13 years since this thread started, has anyone tried YSS shocks on a scrambler? How about Tec or Hagons? Which shocks should I look at for a smooth ride on the street/highway and durability for light off road?

·
Registered
518 Posts
So... What's the consensus guys? it's been 13 years since this thread started, has anyone tried YSS shocks on a scrambler? How about Tec or Hagons? Which shocks should I look at for a smooth ride on the street/highway and durability for light off road?
There isn't really any consensus as shocks are a very individual thing as there are so many variables.......

I've personally gone through 5 pairs of shocks on my Scrambler as follows:

Stock Scrambler
Bitubo (Dual spring rebound adjustment)
Stock T100
YSS Top Line
Ikon 7610

I've found that most shocks are over sprung for the average weight (around 12 to 13 Stone) when riding solo. The YSS were claimed set-up for my weight range but I couldn't bottom them out no matter what I did and they topped out all the time instead, which is worse than bottoming out in my opinion.

I've ended up with Ikon's and although they don't look as flash as others and have limited adjustment they are in fact head and shoulders above the two 'stock' shocks and the YSS tested. The Bitubo's were a lot better than the others but still way behind the Ikons.

I chose the model with the lighter springs built for lighter riders who only do solo riding, thinking I would probably need to put some preload on them but this is not the case. I have them set on the softest preload setting and rebound on the first level and they are great like that. I can just about bottom them on bad potholes but if I move the preload to the second level I can't bottom them and so don't use all available travel.

I would highly recommend the Ikons as they are great for me but that doesn't really help you as the many variables come into play.........

·
Registered
7 Posts
There isn't really any consensus as shocks are a very individual thing as there are so many variables.......

I've personally gone through 5 pairs of shocks on my Scrambler as follows:

Stock Scrambler
Bitubo (Dual spring rebound adjustment)
Stock T100
YSS Top Line
Ikon 7610

I've found that most shocks are over sprung for the average weight (around 12 to 13 Stone) when riding solo. The YSS were claimed set-up for my weight range but I couldn't bottom them out no matter what I did and they topped out all the time instead, which is worse than bottoming out in my opinion.

I've ended up with Ikon's and although they don't look as flash as others and have limited adjustment they are in fact head and shoulders above the two 'stock' shocks and the YSS tested. The Bitubo's were a lot better than the others but still way behind the Ikons.

I chose the model with the lighter springs built for lighter riders who only do solo riding, thinking I would probably need to put some preload on them but this is not the case. I have them set on the softest preload setting and rebound on the first level and they are great like that. I can just about bottom them on bad potholes but if I move the preload to the second level I can't bottom them and so don't use all available travel.

I would highly recommend the Ikons as they are great for me but that doesn't really help you as the many variables come into play.........

Thanks man, you're definitely the guy to ask then, I doubt anyone else has tried so many different shocks on the same machine.

Have you done any off roading with the ikon shocks? How about long distance on the highway and twisty canyon roads? How would you rate them on a scale of 1-10 for those categories? If they only bottom out on big potholes are they stiff on smaller bumps or do they just kind of glide? How much do you weigh (if you dont mind my asking)

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Well if my memory serves, I remember YSS getting good reviews from people on here back at the time, same for Hagons (I had a set of Hagon classics on my Scrambler way back when). Can't speak for TECs, Ikons also got thumbs up.

981 - 1000 of 1010 Posts